What are the pros and cons of being a special education teacher?

Asked Westfield, Massachusetts

Hi, my name is Rosemarie Mullaly and I am a junior at Boston Collegiate Charter School. I have been interested in being a teacher since fifth grade, and I realized I want to be a special education teacher since eighth grade. I want to work with children with cognitive disabilities (Autism, Down Syndrome ect). #teaching #special-education #disabilities

Leslie’s Answer

Updated Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I would say there are more pros than cons. You are fundamentally impacting these children's lives on a day to day basis. You also build personal relationships with them. Some of the cons are that being a teacher, especially a special ed teacher, is a ton of work. You have to spend a lot of time planning for class, and the actual time in class can be exhausting. It is also challenging to figure out how to best teach kids with special needs. Overall though, I believe special ed teaching is among the most satisfying and meaningful. Also, note that special ed teachers are in high demand, so you will have a good chance of getting a job!

Thank you!

Claudia’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

Hi Rosemary, One of the pros of working with needs with special education challenges is that it usually happens in small groups or even one-to-one. You also get to collaborate with other educators and support the students and the teachers in the classrooms. It does take planning and commitment but I find that if you like teaching and working closely with students you will love being a special education teacher. Good luck.

Thank you!