I am an aspiring fashion designer any advice?

Asked Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I'm 13 years old (in my second year of high school) and desperately want to be a designer I have started sketching I can hand sew and I've made a couple of tops with my sewing machine and I am hoping to one day move to London and study fashion after I've graduated I'll take any advice about now and in the future thanks so much! #fashion #designer #london #sewing #art #school #future #courses

Michelle’s Answer

Hello, Poppy B. That is so amazing that you are starting such a wonderful skill and art at your age ! My advice to you is that you should continue with school while getting involved in any possible opportunity around fashion shows and all things connected to the fashion industry. Keep a book of your sketching and photos of the clothes you make. Now, as you go along, you will discover all of the new talents you have. Starting young is a great advantage ! London is a rich environment for fashion with a great history of being one of the fabulous style hubs, so your choice to go there to study is spot on ! Do not let any negative talk curb your passion for what you love to do. Best wishes in all you do !

Michelle recommends the following next steps:

• Keep sketch books
  • Make a portfolio of the clothing you make
  • Involve yourself in or create events related to fashion while you are in school