What can I get my masters degree in if i do my BA in liberal arts?

I am a freshman and really like the subjects that go under liberal arts. I want to do my undergrad in liberal arts but I know that I can't really make a living out of it - I'll have to do something with a grad degree. What kind of professions stem from liberal arts?
#liberal-arts #jobs

3

Jennifer’s Answer

Anything you want! :-)

The liberal arts encompass everything from the arts to natural sciences, humanities to social sciences, and mathematics. Arguably, it's what makes one "educated."

Here is an interesting article about the liberal arts that I think you'll find useful: http://mycollegeguide.org/articles/liberal-arts-degrees/what-are-liberal-arts.

If you have a specific university's liberal arts degree program in mind, contact the Admissions Office or Liberal Arts Department. Speak to someone about the program and your concerns. You won't be the first (nor the last) person to have this question!

The Occupational Outlook Handbook (https://www.bls.gov/ooh/home.htm) can help you search and find hundreds of occupations related to the liberal arts and provide insight into the duties, education, training, compensation, and prospects.

I hope that you won't shy away from the liberal arts. Educating yourself first, the training you need for any job you want will come!

Wishing you the best in your bright future -

#liberal-arts #occupational-outlook-handbook

1

Betty’s Answer

Hi Leela,

I struggled with the same problem after I graduated with a BA liberal arts degree in political science. Part of the reason it took me so long to gain my footing in the working world is because I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I interviewed and performed a wide variety of jobs: nonprofit coordinator, data analyst at a brokerage firm, executive assistant for a construction company, English teacher in Japan, etc. I finally decided on program management after doing a stint as a technical lead at a startup and then obtained my masters degree in business administration. After looking back at my experience, I would have done things a bit differently because landing a good job was extremely difficult with my degree. I discovered that English and Math majors were more desirable than my major and felt I was at a disadvantage. If I could rewind the clock, I would have done a double major and pursued a graduate degree straight out of college. However, I don't discount the great experiences I did have when I traveled to Japan or spent one year in China during college. Find your inner passion and pursue that, but make sure your skills are marketable. The opportunities are there for you and you just need to take the steps. Good luck on your journey.

0