Making money while attending college

I'm starting college soon so I wanted to know what are some ways to generate some money while attending(besides the obvious part time job). I don't want to miss any opportunities by not asking and hope to widen my perspective on what can be done. Thank you

#college #college-job #first-generation-college-students

4

DeCosmon’s Answer

Hi Sean,

I hope you are having an amazing day.  As an undergrad student, I was able to work three jobs: hotel, after school care, and TA for our intro classes to computer science.  I would not recommend you be like me.  I was a super scholar and I was able to managed to make the Dean's List the three semesters I did work all jobs, but I had no life outside of work and school.  I do not want you to follow in my footsteps.  Enjoy college.  I would see if the department has the funding for research.  If not, see if you can find a part time job at a boys and girls club in your area.  You may even be able to work some of the football games.  Seek as many options as you can on campus before you try to find work outside of campus.

Make sure you use time management with class and work.  Do not let work consume your entire time.  You still are a student, FIRST.  Make sure you have enough time to study, do homework,  and work. 

I wish you the best on you and I hope this help.  Good Luck!!

0

tonni’s Answer

While in college I worked 20-30 hours per week at a video store (those aren't really around anymore!). I made a little over min wage. But now as an adult working in tech companies I've seen high school and college students intern making considerably more than I did and gaining much richer experience than I did. Tech companies often pay interns well. To do a job like this you'd have to find a consistent schedule to do your work with school which isn't easy but it may be a good option. Good luck!

0

Courtney’s Answer

Hi Sean!

Definitely look at opportunities on campus, such as your student center or rec center. Those are usually the easiest to start off with. Otherwise, if you are interested in research, some colleges offer part-time research assistant positions (which will also look great on your resume). If you like teaching and helping other students, there may be tutoring or even teaching assistant (TA) positions available at your school.

If nothing else, ask your advisor! They may be able to get you in touch with an on-campus position you didn't know was available or a part-time internship or gig!

0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Sean,

I know that several of my friends work on campus and get paid minimum wage. I continued my summer internship during school and just went in once a week. Several other internships only require 20 hours a week, so that is also possible. Best of luck!

Hello. I am a college student and one of the harder things is finding a job that understands that school comes first. I figured what better place than to work on campus. I now work on campus and there are usually a lot of opportunities, Bookstore, student ambassadors, etc. sometimes throughout the year the college needs help with an event like graduation so they’ll also ask for students to help and they’ll pay you to do so. Rian R.

0