What are the requirements for a CST

Updated Amarillo, Texas

I am wanting to become a certified surgical tech. I am finishing basics right now but want more on traveling surgical tech vs just working in area hospital. ##surgical-technology #medical #medicine #surgery #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care

Dat’s Answer

Updated Falls Church, Virginia

I believe in order to be a CST, experiences count the most. The more experiences the better you are. If you are not experienced with CST, you'll need to have an education on surgical technology program to get the license. Last, being passionate with science and surgical technology at any point. In conclusion:

1. Experience
  2. CST license / education
  3. Passion

Reference:

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">“CST Certification.” </span>The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">, www.nbstsa.org/cst-certification.</span>

Dat recommends the following next steps:

• Let's get started and experience it!

Leobardo’s Answer

Find a trauma level one hospital, the more you get under your belt the better, and get at least two years experience in it. Most agencies will not take you with less. Unless they know you worked at a place like Parkland hospital Dallas, they get everything under the sun there.

At a level one you won't come across everything but it should be a good foundation, also get experience in a surgery center, the speed and efficiency will help you tremendously in prioritizing how you do things!

Leobardo recommends the following next steps:

• Get 2 years at least, one year may not cut it. Especially a level 1 trauma center. Do not touch l&d untill you have experience (l&d is not true tech experience )
  • Talk to other agency techs to see how to negotiate, that may be your biggest weakness.

Erick’s Answer

To be certified

Christina’s Answer

At least 1 year of experience is needed to become a traveling tech, I suggest working at either a smaller state hospital for good experience and on job training. If you would like training in emergency surgery then I would suggest bigger medical centers.