What are the most important qualities to have to be a successful flight nurse?

Updated Great Falls, Montana

I have found a strong passion for flight nursing and what to know if I would be a good fit for the career before the 3-5 years of training and classes. #flight-nurse #nursing #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care

Nathan’s Answer

Updated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Hi Cassandra,

Just to tell you a little about myself. I have been a nurse for 23 years with 12 of those years as a flight nurse. I worked for several flight programs here in the US and also in Australia. First in order to become a flight nurse, you need to become a Registered Nurse. After getting your nursing license, you need on average 3-5 years experience working in the ED and or ICU and obtaining various certifications. To succeed as a flight nurse, one requires certain skills and personality traits that allows you to function as a member of a close team. First and foremost, one needs to be in good physical shape as the job requires lots of lifting, carrying equipment, and be able to tolerate working in very enclosed spaces such as back of the helicopter or on a fixed wing aircraft or in back of an ambulance. Since it is only you and your partner

(nurse or paramedic), you need to have the knowledge and the skills to provide high level care in very demanding and stressful situations. You need to be able to make decision quickly and be able to switch gears as the conditions you will be working in are very fluid and dynamic. You need to be able to work with people from different backgrounds such as law enforcement, fire departments, EMS and hospital staff. You may need to assume charge of a situation and direct other people as you may be the highest level care provider. You need the capacity to learn advanced skills that are not practiced by those working in the hospital such as intubation ( inserting a breathing tube), inserting IVs, able to read and understand a EKG (electrocardiogram), knowledge of about various medications and their use in the appropriate situation.

EMS experience and experience in the ED and or ICU at a Level 1 trauma center is very beneficial.

If you want to get some experience about what in involved in being a flight nurse, you can contact a flight program in your area and ask them if they have a ride along program , where you can spend the day with a flight crew and get first hand experience. Most flight programs are based either at the hospital or in the community at the local airport.

Vibin’s Answer

Updated Dammam, Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia

Communication skill, Patient Care, Interpersonal Skills

Updated Decatur, Georgia

be a small person. even the big ones were difficult

Angel’s Answer

Updated Land O' Lakes, Florida

Be aware to all situations an ensure the best quality service of my client