Eric D.’s Avatar

Eric D.

46

2

How did you know when you chose the career that best suited you?

Everyone has a dream job, but not every dream job goes exactly how it is thought to be in one's head. As a student with high aspirations and a vast imagination, I've found that the careers that I thought I wanted to pursue, were going to be life-changing, and I would finally be satisfied with my contribution to the world. However, once I actually started working in the field I once praised, I quickly began to realize that this was not the path I wanted to continue on in my life. I now know the feeling of knowing what I don't want to do in the "real world", but how do I know what I do want to do ultimately when the time comes? #dreamjob #lifechanges #newexperiences #insight

You have to do what you love, otherwise it won't feel right and you will end up unhappy (and likley switch career paths). Go with the career sector that involves things you have always loved doing or seem interesting that you may love doing in the future. Stick to your intuition.

Last updated Mar 03 at 14:34

Eric, Great question. As Rachel mentioned in her answer, you'll likely be happier when your job is something you also love. It may take some time to find that "dream job" but often times, trying different careers and opportunities you get might help you decide what you do or don't like, as you seem to have found.

This is an older article, but I've always liked the advice given. Think about three simple questions you can ask yourself to find your own "Career Sweet Spot.":

1) What brings you joy?

2) What are you good at?

3) What will people pay you to do.

Source: http://developmentcrossroads.com/2012/08/3-questions-to-find-your-career-sweet-spot/

A mentor introduced this concept to me and I remember thinking, I'd love to find that and today, I feel that I have.

Good luck to you in your career journey.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• Reach out to mentors or others who are in fields that interest you or that you'd like to pursue to get their perspective on the job as well. Ask if you can informally interview them or maybe shadow them on the job and find out what their daily work might be like.
Last updated Nov 08 at 17:15