This is a very good question. I will say that it does matter. Not only will it provide you more opportunities but it it creates discipline and shows that you are committed. You will also have the opportunity to land an internship in your desired major and or externship which allows you to explore other interests. The difference between these two, the internships are usually paid and externships are unpaid. They are both beneficial for students in any major. I will say that from a personal experience, having completed an externship, even though it was unpaid at that time, the overall experience was worth more than a monetary compensation. Unfortunately, college can be expensive and depending on what you want to study, the cost can be higher for some graduate programs. You definitely want to do research on different colleges and schools. Keep in mind that once you do accomplish in getting your degree, this doesn't mean you are an expert in your major or field but will definitely get you going in the right direction and get you noticed. Ironically, there will be graduates that will end up working in a job irrelevant to their degree major and that's okay. Again, this will depend on the type of work, type of company and or industry you choose to pursue. It is really up to you and the dedication you have. I hope this answered your question! Keep us updated.
Carmen recommends the following next steps:
- Research colleges - https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/find-colleges
- Explore careers and majors - https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org
- Research how to pay for college - https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Visit the colleges you are interested and make an appointment to meet with a college advisor. Bring friend and family for support! You need all the encouragement you can get. I would recommend to write down your questions before you go so that you are prepared to ask them. Sometime we will forget what we were going to ask if it is not written down.
- Keep a journal of your visits and your contacts with their information. This will help you be more organized!