Are there any available historian jobs in Michigan? If so, how many?

I am hoping to get a job in Michigan after I go to college and graduate with a history degree, and I'm not sure if there are that many historian jobs available. Is there an exact number? If so, where would these jobs be? #history #jobsinmichigan

Hi Alayna, great question. Honestly, it would be very difficult to find an exact number of jobs looking for people with a history degree. Consider reaching out to local museums to find internship opportunities. You could also consider a career in teaching history, where you could apply your passion for history by sharing it with others. I've heard of some people who have put their history degree to use as a political campaign manager or even as a marketer. I strongly encourage you to put yourself out there and discover what your options are. I hope this helps and I wish you the best! Mireia R.

3

Martina’s Answer

I can speak from experience that a bachelors degree in history without a graduate degree left me searching for jobs all over the country without much luck. I ended up working in software development for 4 years and then getting a masters in history and then a graduate certificate in public history and another in museum studies. As soon as I obtained those I got a job working at a very well regarded museum.

Martina recommends the following next steps:

Explore the job market in Michigan and talk to people in the field about their education and career path see what you can find out.

Your answer is great Martina, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work! Jordan Rivera COACH

1