Whether I should go to a better college to be able to teach at a university?

I've been told that I might have better luck getting a teaching position at a school like Virginia Tech (where I live) if I go to a school like Harvard. However, I want to teach English/History which is not Virginia Tech's focus at all, it being an engineering and agriculture school. Do I still need to go to a prestigious/"better" school to get a good job teaching?
#teaching #professor #college-selection

Rafe’s Answer

I don't think the quality of the university matters as much as the quality of teaching and student feedback you get. If you are highly respected for your teaching by fellow faculty and student alike, then you can mention it in your resume and perhaps include some data/sample in your portfolio. Thus starting as a teaching assistant is valuable whether you are undergraduate or graduate student to build your experience in a liberal arts or community college rather than other institutions. From what I know, typically you need to have at least a Masters degree to teach at a university before you can apply to a position. A university or community college have positions like part-time or adjunct lecturer, full time lecturer or Assistant Professor that defer based on expected qualifications and other relevant experiences. I hope that helps.
That does help - thank you! Would you suggest I start at a community college or as an assistant professor while still in grad school or wait until I leave?
Well typically they don't hire you as an Assistant Professor until you get a PhD. To teach at a community college, I believe you must complete at least a Masters degree unless you are teaching English as second language courses, which required only a Bachelors. I would recommend to be a TA while in grad school to gain teaching experience. I would also talk to your faculty advisor on figure out better options for you.
Thank you for your answers! I've only just started thinking about teaching, so any information is helpful.