5
Asked 210 views

What is the most important quality for criminal law?

I want to know if I'd be a good fit, so I want to know the most important quality/qualities for criminal law lawyers.

5

1

Rafael’s Answer

The most important qualities for criminal law lawyers include strong analytical skills, effective communication, legal knowledge and research abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving, and ethical conduct. If you possess these qualities and have a genuine interest in criminal law, you may be a good fit for this field. However, it's always a good idea to gain more insight through internships or shadowing opportunities to better understand the demands of the profession. With the right combination of skills, knowledge, and passion, you can thrive as a criminal law lawyer!
Thank you comment icon I agree with this attorneys answer. In addition you should consider whether you would want to work as a criminal defense lawyer or prosecutor. In law school I did an internship with both the prosecutor’s office and a public defender’s office. They are very different. In the end, neither was for me, but I am glad I found that out early on. Good luck to you. Nicole Gainey
1
0

Stefanie’s Answer

Hi Nicole- great question! I agree with the other lawyers who answered regarding the skills you need. I would also add a few things. You need to like to argue (and win!) - as a criminal lawyer, you will be "on your feet" in the courtroom pretty regularly - either trying a case, or arguing to the court - so you have to be comfortable with that and hopefully even enjoy it. Also-- there are the emotional aspects. I worked in a Prosecutor's office and also as a defense attorney -- and I can tell you that there are a lot of emotions involved on both sides. You will interact with your defendant clients and /or with the victims. It can sometimes be hard to leave your work in the office, because you might have the case on your mind a lot at home, wanting to help your client and/or the victims. And the outcome of a case, if it doesn't go the way you thought it should go, can be upsetting. All of this can be extremely rewarding and you can really feel like you are doing something incredibly important and meaningful -- and you can really enjoy it and find it exciting -- but just a few points I thought would be helpful from my personal experience.

I hope that helps and good luck!!
0
0

Andrea’s Answer

I agree with Rafael Diaz Montelongo that the most important qualities for a criminal law attorney are those he identified. I would add that if you want to be a prosecutor, you need to seek justice first and not focus on statistics (or other similar pressures.) If you want to be a defense attorney, an important quality is to empathize with your client and foster trust.
0