4

What career choice should I choose?

I am a junior in high school and don't know what to do after high school.#careerchoice

Thank you comment icon pick something that interests you Vincent

4

1

Alexandria (Aly)’s Answer

Choosing a career in high school can be really difficult. Some people know right away what they want to do. Others, like myself, take a little time to figure it out. The best place to start is to figure out what kind of career you want and break it down piece by piece. This can help narrow your search. Here is an example:
1. Do you want to work with the public (customers)?
2. Do you want to work at a desk?
3. What's your personality type? There are lots of personality quizzes and assessments online that can help you determine how detail oriented you are or rather a big picture person.
4. What are your interests?
5. What are you good at?
I was really good at public speaking and explaining things to people. People naturally trust me and I have a lot of patience. I thought I wanted to be an actor and started college with theater as my major but found I loved Sociology classes. I graduated with a Sociology degree. I started working in Sales because I still didn't know what I wanted to do. My natural people, patience and explaining skills helped me get noticed and I interviewed for a training position within my company. That started my career in Learning & Development.

Something I hadn't thought about, as I came out of high school, is that just about every industry has dozens of jobs within it helping to support and keep it running. For example, if you love music and are interested in working in the music industry, you don't have to be a singer, songwriter, or producer. You can be in Human Resources, IT, Marketing etc.

If you plan to go to college for a Bachelors degree, also keep in mind that your first 2 years will be general education. GenEd courses (as they're called), can help you explore different topics and interest. Lots of people change their major so you can go in with a major like Communications, Humanities, or IT and explore what aspects get you excited and pick something different later.

Keep an open mind and get a part-time job. When you start working you'll start to see what kinds of things you're interested in and what you definitely don't want to do. This is also a great place to talk to other professionals and learn more about what they do.

Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself. I know it seems like adults have it all figured out, but we don't! There are a lucky few who know exactly what they want to do in High School and stick with it, but most people only have a vague idea and figure it out as they go along. Narrow down the kinds of things you like and then explore. It's ok to change your mind.

Once you've answered some of the questions I entered above, post another question and the community can give you some ideas about possible career paths.

Good luck! You've got this!

Alexandria (Aly) recommends the following next steps:

Make a list of things you're good at (Try to keep it high level, for example, I was good at acting but the skill I developed through acting was public speaking)
1
0

Danielle’s Answer

The first thing you need to figure out is what you actually like to do. Then I would do research on this. For example, I love technology so I chose a field I can excel in so I decided to work at IBM and work in the tech world. The first question you need to ask yourself what do I like to do.
0
0

Mayank’s Answer

Career choice is one of the most difficult but most important decisions of your life.
You should not select any career only because which your friends are pursuing. You should not take decision based on the family or societal pressure. But you should be choosing a career which suits your personality and interests.

Example: If you are an extrovert, then marketing and sales is for you. You can be a good VJ too.

So, align your interest. What exactly do you want to achieve in life. Do not listen to people who are going to say that there is very less money in the field you chose, or less fame etc.
Remember, in each field people have earned more than millions of money and achieved lot of fame.

If you have an interest in what you are doing, you will enjoy that career and work. Its better than blaming society or friends or parents for any career where you might succeed but never enjoy working.

Choose wisely. It is the most important decision of your life. Don't take a decision in a flash. Devote sometime.

All the best.
0
0

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. This is a common question many high school students have.
Below is my suggestions :
1. Think about your hobbies and favourite subjects that you have interest on and identify the relate careers.
E.g. If you are interested on Maths, would you like to be a accountant, banker, financial analyst, maths teacher, etc.
If you are interested in Music, would you like to be a singer, composer, musician, musica teacher, etc.
2. Find out more on these careers and identify what you have interested on
3. Speak to someone who are working in these careers. Seek advice from your mentor, school career counselor, your parents, etc.
4. Shortlist 1-2 career you would like to pursue
5. Explore the entry criteria of the relevant subjects in the college
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
0