how do I decide which major i should go for in college ?

3

I'm stuck between two majors which are History or psychology. I'm having a hard time deciding because I don't if i'm fit to be a Teacher/professor or is it just that I'm really interested in the subject. Also as to psychology I'm unsure on how that major can be the gate way to different jobs like how can me majoring in psychology be helpful for my future careers.#undecided #college-major

3

Melissa’s Answer

0
One thing that should be considered that if you peruse being a professor or a degree in psychology that will require further schooling including a masters, doctor degree, and a PhD. This requires a long term commitment for learning and financially. If you pursue one of these careers make sure that you will be motivated to continue down this path for 10+ years. If you are already unsure about it, that could be hard to maintain motivation later on. I would recommend talking to someone in each of these roles and asking about their experience and what it takes to have a career in their fields.
0

JENNA’s Answer

0
You don't have to decide on a major the moment you enter college- people change all the time. Go in as undeclared and take a variety of core classes and see what appeals to you. You don't have to narrow down the amazing possibilities either (or other!) of these degrees will offer at the beginning, you need to explore and see what unexpected paths they will take you down- which might be a different major entirely. Chat with your academic adviser, as well, as he or she can probably give you some pointers on how to figure out where to go with your concerns, since it is their job. Good luck!
0

Estelle’s Answer

0
This is a common feeling among college freshman. Try to take courses your freshman year in a variety of subjects, so hopefully you can find an area of study for which you have a passion. You also might consider meeting with your college advisors to see if they have any recommendations based on your areas of interest.
0