It's great to hear you want to be a computer engineer and curious if you will like it. If you are already thinking about it i am sure you will like it. I am a Wireless Electronics hardware engineer but I work with many and will be glad to add few points to help you.
1) What is a Computer Engineer ? -- In short someone who understands Electronics Hardware and writes Software Code (or firmware in technical term ) to make the hardware do something meaningful. Its really powerful role , once you understand the electronics and hardware behind it .
2) Do you play video games ? -- Ever wondered how the remote control works and follows your instructions ? -- A Computer Engineer writes Firmware Code after understanding the Xbox/PlayStation Hardware and tells it what to do when you Press any button. So you can be responsible for all the gaming users around the world to make them feel awesome while they use your Software to play games .
3) Do you have a Smart Phone or seen someone use it -- When you press the Phone's Power Button to turn it On -- The Computer Engineer decides what should happen inside the phone and in what order -- Like turn the display On - blink some lights -- say hello to you - and then in background it goes and setups up the hardware for you to make Calls, User any Apps, Save Battery when you don't use Phone or anything else you can think of while you use your Phone.
4) There are many examples i can add but just to give you an idea -- the possibilities are endless. If you really think you will enjoy this in future or will enjoy others using your Engineering work - you can be the best Computer Engineer ever ! It will not be a job for you but a hobby/dream plus you will get paid to do it.
5) Now comes the tough Part -- It won't be easy but you will be able to do it easily if you put your mind behind it. You will just have to finish your high school if you haven't yet - learn about Electronics and Hardware. Learn how to write software codes to control them. You can do these either by going to college and taking these courses . You can be the guy controlling the Next Autonomous Car ?
I hope you become a Computer Engineer and i get to use your passionate and awesome engineering product on a daily basis :)
Satyabh recommends the following next steps:
- Study Basic Electronics
- Learn Python or C Coding
- Learn Some Math and other Science
- Be Curious how things work and ask Questions like you did now
- Be Passionate and Never Give Up