What are some tips on acing my MCAT exams?
In a few years I will take the MCAT and I want to know what classes and studying methods worked best for you when you were mere college students? #mcat #medicine #doctor #healthcare #hospital-and-healthcare
Good question, Rebecca. Many college premed/STEM programs will give you a basic overview of topics on the MCAT, but in order to ace the test, more preparation is definitely needed. You can start studying for the test up to a year before you take it in order to put in enough time to review all the material that the MCAT covers. Go to the official website to see the essentials of the MCAT
- The Kaplan set of books about the MCAT is very comprehensive, will cover pretty much all of the material that might come up on the exam, and is very popular within the premed community. Learning the concepts inside the book a good first step, but the quizzes and review questions are not as helpful- a better resource for test questions is old MCAT exams that can be found online via google searches.
- A focus in the STEM- subjects of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and organic chemistry, specifically, are weighted heavily on the MCAT exam. These classes should be relatively recent, so you are fresh on the material. There has also recently been a section for Psychology added into the test.
- Study smart, not hard. Use the study resources you have to gain a comprehensive understanding of all of the topics within the MCAT. Know what areas you are good at and where you struggle and plan your study times with specific goals.
- Within a month of the test date, you should start looking for practice exams, and take the time to both answer the questions, as well as review your own answers for comprehension in each subject topic. You might notice specific areas that aren't clear that you should then go back and review.
- Finally, when the test day is close, give yourself some time to relax, since you have been studying so hard to ace this test. You are going to do great, be confident, and relaxed going into the test.
You can look at peoples advice on reddit, and how they structured their study time in order to get the grade they have. Some of these threads also have Ask Me Anything, I find these very helpful for both confidence and long-term preparation methods.
Some places to take free online MCAT tests are available through this pdf link
My son used MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review 2019-2020: Online + Book + 3 Practice Tests (Kaplan Test Prep) Kaplan Test Prep
Kaplan Test Prep
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc
It was about $140 and he achieved his goal score.