Are there any particular clubs that would be beneficial post-college?

1

I'm curious if there are any specific fields of clubs anyone would recommend that might help me post-college. I'm talking about non-frats, since my transfer college doesn't offer those. #extracurriculars #student-clubs #college #post-college

1

Timothy’s Answer

0

Well Ian, the answer is definitely "yes." Which clubs are most beneficial to you will depend on your interests and career goals. Simply put, you should find a club or organization which lets you build the skill which you will need in the future. There are plenty of those.

In general, everyone can use leadership and communication skills. Any club (and I do mean any, whether that be sports, projects or social) which you can join leadership in will give you the opportunity to hone your leadership and communication skills by dealing with problems that professionals face every day (Setting goals, scheduling, encouraging participation, improving morale). Toastmasters is also a good club for learning public speaking that is highly recommended.

Second, many colleges have more technical or concentrated clubs. Not knowing what your major is, I cannot give you specific suggestions but there are many options. For engineers, we had project teams which built, designed or tested things. But there were plenty of other clubs for writers, economists, astronomers, etc. Usually around orientation time all clubs are out trying to recruit people, so be on the lookout for community events where they may be canvasing, or your school may have a dedicated "student organization/club fair" where all the clubs come to advertise.

Timothy recommends the following next steps:

• Decide what skills you would like to build or what interests you have
  • Attend events to find clubs on campus which will allow you to participate and build these skills
  • Advance to leadership positions. This is often the most important part. Don't just be "a member." Build influence and excel in that club.
0