What is the most effective way to manage time efficiently?
In my experience this varies tremendously by person, but here are a few things that have helped me manage my time efficiently:
- Being honest with myself about what's important, what I can actually get done, and when I can get those things done.
- Related to 1 - learning to be OK with unimportant (and even some important) things not getting done.
- Finding a system that worked for me. - Personally, I really like Personal Kanban https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-how-to-use-personal-kanban-to-visuali-1687948640
- Limiting distractions. - When it's time to do work, hide the phone, turn notifications off, do the work.
- Budgeting time for breaks and sanity. - Work, studying, and whatever will fill the time you give it. Making certain I don't give work all my time helps me do better work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law
Chris recommends the following next steps:
Find a system that works for you and stick to it.
Having said that, "Getting Things Done" from David Allen really changed my time management habits.
This is easier said then done, because often priority 1 tasks are daunting and priority 2 or 3 tasks may be more fun. Don't fall victim. Stick with your priority 1 items. Break them into smaller milestones so you can see incremental progress.
You will feel better about yourself and learn to break the habit of procrastination.
You should start college planning to study every day. Attend your classes daily. Do the homework. When you find a class difficult, attend office hours early in the semester. If you continue to struggle, get a tutor.