What are the cons to attending UCLA?

Updated Ripon, California

What are some things that you wish you knew before attending UCLA? How did you adapt to these surprises? What advice would you give to a prospective freshman? If you had known these cons, would it have changed your decision to attend UCLA? How is life after graduating from UCLA?
#ucla #college #college-selection

Updated Bellevue, Washington

Hi Seneca,

I am a HUGE advocate of life long learning and personal growth. I am more and more concerned with people going the route of college these days however.

I have a master's degree and paid quite a bit of money for my degree. That being said degrees often don't guarantee or really increase pay in today's economic climate anymore.

There are now some universities that are starting to go the route of income share agreement models for pay for your tuition.

I think when considering the high costs of tuition enrollment at a school like UCLA you need to weigh whether or not that degree can actually help you earn more money as well.

Money is certainly not everything and education is valuable in itself always. Huge student loans are always a challenge and set back to your future financial well-being.

I work for a company called PreHIRED. We help people get the skills and training they need to secure six figure sales jobs.

For me considering college at your age should really be a question of one of two routes. One do I want to go get this college education for my own personal edification and knowledge? Or two do I want this college degree for better earning potential and income later on in my future? If the motivation is for higher income you can work with great training boot camps for many careers in the software and technology industries that can help you land high paying careers for far less than a college degree will cost.

David recommends the following next steps:

• Research sales training and coding bootcamps as a college alternative on a third party site like coursereport

Jessica’s Answer

Hello, while I did not attend UCLA (I am an Emory alumna), I can say you should look at the overall picture. Has UCLA given you a financial aid package? Is it generous? Can I get back to and from home relatively easily? Does it have the major(s) I'm interested in? Do I know anyone who has gone there? Can I try to connect with them?

I hope this helps!

Jessica

Jessica recommends the following next steps:

• Attend a UCLA interest meeting near where you live. Ask your guidance counselor.
  • See if you can plan a trip and take a tour.
  • Ask your guidance counselor for any tips he or she might have for you.