Anna D.’s Avatar

Anna D.

31

2

Is it hard to find a job as a German Interpreter?

I would love to major in German in college, but I am not sure if that is a good language to study. Most European countries now study English as a second language , so I don't know how in demand German skills will be!! #german #foreign-languages #travel

Hi Anna,

It depends - Are you strictly set on doing interpretation? Or are you open to other options that use German? I've found that many high school and college students do not know that there are plenty of jobs outside of translation and interpretation that require the use of foreign language skills, but you have to be willing to learn something outside of just the language.

For example, I ended up getting an education in information technology from my very first employer after I graduated simply because I speak three languages with enough fluency to handle a wide variety of professional situations.

I was a double-language major (Spanish/French) in college and I couldn't imagine having a job where I don't get to use my language skills on a daily basis. Many people think that majoring in a language is a waste of time and money, but I disagree because that hasn't been my experience. The key - I cannot stress this enough - is to pair the language(s) with another field that has great job growth, for example, technology, science, international business, communications, etc.

Even if you do want to go into straight interpretation/translation, you will still have to develop a specialty or a field of expertise and you will be required to know very technical terms in that language and be familiar with the concepts, so either way, just keep that in mind and try to find something you'd like to pair your language skills with.

Overall, my advice is to let your passion for German drive you into another field so that you can have the best of both worlds!

Kind regards,

Nicole

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• Run some job searches in your area or the area that you want to move to so that you can see what kinds of jobs might be available to you/you might be interested in.
  • Research majors that you might like to pair with German and get a feel for what the coursework would be.
Last updated Apr 26 at 08:42 PM