Do you think an athlete could major pre-med and keep up grades?

Asked Pflugerville, Texas

I am a pretty intense athlete and I would love to continue playing sports in college. I know pre-med will contain hard courses, so I am worried about how my grades would do, if I continued to splay sports.
#sports #pre-med

Scott’s Answer

Updated Saint Petersburg, Florida

Yes. It's all about your mindset when entering college. What are you dedicated towards? When I was in college there was a student athlete who was in pre-med and a football player. While he would occasionally be seen on the party scene, it was rarely and it was usually during the "off-season". He maintained a 4.0 GPA during his 4 years and was a successful athlete as well.

I believe he was successful because he surrounded himself with good like minded people who continued to encourage the positive behavior which in turn created positive results.

Scott recommends the following next steps:

• When you get to college, create a training/practice schedule, a class schedule, and a study schedule. More importantly stick to it.
  • Learn to say "NO" and stand by your decisions to not go out to parties
  • Learn to say "YES" to yourself and your college goals. People may make fun of you for it but in the end you'll be a better person for it.