How important are summer jobs in getting a job after college?

I play basketball and some of my summer is taken up by touring with my team. Is it necessary for me to stop playing over a summer to concentrate on and internship and if so, which year? #internships #basketball

Lisa’s Answer

I understand basketball is an important part in your life but unless you plan to be a professional basketball player my recommendation would be to get an internship during the summer no later than the end of your junior year. Internships are critical in landing a full-time job in your field of choice and provide you with valuable experience that will help you either land a job with the company you intern with or with another employer. You can always visit your career center on campus and set up an appointment with someone who can guide you through the internship process. Wish you all the best in basketball and landing a summer internship.

Lisa recommends the following next steps:

• Contact your career center on campus
  • Research the companies who come to your campus to look for interns.
Hi, I may differ from the other responses. If you are likely to receive a college scholarship- keep going with the basketball. Yes, if you can also intern- do both. Do you also work? Retaining a job while in high school can be as good as an internship. For college admission, as well as to be competitive for work study and other summer college jobs- showing that you managed school, sports, and a job is a huge advantage. You will also learn several hard and soft skills that many youth don't have. Good luck. It's great that you are being intentional about your future.

Saurabh’s Answer

IMHO, it is really important to intern atleast once either in sophomore or junior year. Being an intern helps you to show the hiring team/company the value you bring to the table and they can offer you a full time position soon after your graduate, depending upon hiring criteria, of course.