Will these college classes work during admissions?

In my high school it is not required to take a foreign language class to graduate, so as I am ending my junior year I have never taken any. Unfortunately, most colleges I want to apply to require two years of a foreign language to apply. There is a dual credit program between my high school and a local community college. At the community college they have both a French 1 and French 2 course. The only issue is, they cram it in and each course is only a semester long. Will this work as the two-year requirement for admissions since it two levels of the language or am I out of luck? As a senior next year, is there anything I can do to get these two years? #college-admissions #requirements #foreign-languages

Jaron’s Answer

Yes, the first two semesters of college French is generally equivalent to the first two years of high school French. I would ask the college for sample syllabi from each class. You want to make sure that by the end of the French 2 class that you will have covered at least two major aspects of the past tense in French: passé composé and imparfait (the imperfect). If you have, you should be go to do.

Jaron recommends the following next steps:

• Ask for a sample syllabus for the French I and French 2 courses.