Is it worth it to participate in the Disney College Program?

7

I love Disney and I am interested in the Disney College Program but I am not sure if it will help me in the future. If anyone has ever been a part of or knows someone who has been a part of the Disney College Program I would love to just know information about it. #disneycollegeprogram #dcp #unsure #disney #florida

7

Sabrina’s Answer

1

Yes, the internship is definitely worth your time if you love Disney.

I was apart of the program for 8 months in Anaheim (California), and I'm not going to candy coat my experience. It was very stressful. Disney management expects the best at all times. They will send you home if you forget your name tag or dye your hair. You cannot talk on your cell phone in public. You must converse with guests even if you don't feel very social. With all that complaining aside, I would join the program all over again. It's easy to make new friends. If you have strong networking skills, you can connect with employees in key positions. You also get free tickets and major discounts for you and your family.

Sabrina recommends the following next steps:

• Talk to your school's career center so you can locate a Disney College Program Recruiter.
  • If there are no recruiters scheduled to be on your campus, apply here - https://jobs.disneycareers.com/disney-college-program.
  • If you get an interview, really sell your professional strengths so you don't get a janitor job. (I'm being serious.)
  • Have fun!
Thank you so much! I wasn’t finding much information about what the Disney College Program was really like and this helps a ton on what to expect and things to do when applying. I will definitely look into it!! Sarah H. Translate
1

Mary’s Answer

0
It’s worth it - assuming you want a career in the hospitality and tourism industry. The Disney College Program is a great way to earn paid work experience while having access to some classroom education and valuable mentoring. Those individuals who have the passion and drive to make the most of it tend to go on to leadership careers in the industry.

Mary recommends the following next steps:

• Find an alumni site and ask if anyone with your interests would be willing to share their impressions
0

Michelle’s Answer

0

Yes! Working for Disney has been super beneficial in applying for other jobs.

I did the Disney College Program (DCP) in Orlando, FL for Fall 2013. It was definitely a super fun but challenging experience and totally worth it for me. I will give you all the positives and negatives of my experience.

Positives:

1. If you love Disney the first couple weeks are super exciting. You get to learn/see so many behind the scene parts of the company.
  2. You will meet a TON of people from all over the world. The program host international students as well so you really get to broaden your circle of friends and learn other cultures.
  3. Going to the parks anytime you want and getting guest passes for your friends and family is a perk.
  4. You will experience so many fun and cool moments that will always stick with you.
  5. Last but not least, noticing you are from Schaumburg, Illinois ( I'm originally from NW Indiana) the warm weather is really great!

Negatives:

1. Living with a ton of roommates - I had 5 in a 3 bedroom with one fridge and thats tough. Probably my least favorite part. You do choose how many people you want to live with, but even if you choose just one it's still sharing a room and it will be more expensive.
  2. You will work a lot of hours and depending on your role, it may be weird hours and always weekends. You are here to work which is expected but again I had shifts that were scheduled until 2 am if not later which can be tough.
  3. As some of the other comments said, you are expected to be happy, social and represent the brand even if your having a bad day or not feeling well while you're working.
  4. It goes by SO fast.

To sum it up, you make your experience what it is but I would absolutely recommend it. I had hard times there and days I regretted doing the program but I also created memories with people that I will never forget. Now being in my career and going through multiple interviews, it's a great talking point. People will always ask about your time there and see it as a positive because of what the brand represents.

Michelle recommends the following next steps:

• If you are looking for more information besides just the normal Disney links. I would recommend checking out fb groups that are for DCP, youtube (a lot of people vlog about their experiences), pinterest and even just google. I did this before I went and found it super helpful!
  • If you get an interview, smile while on the phone (it sounds dumb but works!) As the girl said above, show your professional strengths or why you're interested in your top roles. Oh and if you don't want to be a janitor don't choose that as an option!
  • Have fun and bring sunscreen! :)
0

Tiffany’s Answer

0
Hello! I am currently a cast member, but did not go through the college program. However, the only reason I did not do the college program was because I went to college just down the street (at the University of Central Florida) and did not want to take a semester off from school. Even though I was not a college program participant I know lots of people who were and I would highly recommend it. Disney College Program is an amazing way to get your foot in the door with the Walt Disney Company and experience what it is like to be a cast member. Being a cast member is a lot of work and it isn't for everyone. By doing the college program you are able to see if you really enjoy it before jumping in. Disney also loves to promote from within, so getting a start with the company is always great. Good luck with your journey!!
0

Cherelle’s Answer

0

Yes, it is worth it! Everyone that I know who has participated in a Disney internship had great experiences and ultimately succeeded tremendously in their careers after completing their internships. I had two separate opportunities to complete a Disney internship and I did not take advantage of either opportunity --- which I now regret. Please do not make the same mistake that I made! If offered, take it! It will change your life.

0