How important is it to get a job or internship going into college as a freshman?

Asked Chicago, Illinois

I want to decide what my priorities are in college. A job is a good source of money and may even be beneficial towards one's future career. On the contrary however, it may hinder my studies if I am too immersed in my job/internship.

#college-jobs #college-bound

Kamilah’s Answer

Updated Huntsville, Alabama

You will not have your internship until at least your junior or senior year in college. If you're able to shadow with someone depending on your major to get a feel of what you will be doing in the future then that will be a good experience for you.

Job wise, if you're not on a scholarship and going to get a refund check or getting money monthly from your parents to help you then it will be a good idea to get a job on or off campus if you're going to need the extra money to do things off campus and want to hang out with friends. A job will only distract you if you allow it to. So put your studies and grades first before your job.

Kamilah recommends the following next steps:

• Make sure you have reliable transportation if you're deciding to get a job off campus, if you don't have a car.
  • Don't get a full time job unless you're not living on campus and will have other bills to be responsible for. A part time job will allow you to make your own schedule that works with school.
  • You can get your internship aligned right now, make good relationships with the teachers in your major and your advisor.