What are some international humanitarian agencies that you can work for with a masters in public health in epidemiology, and how can you start getting experience early?

4

I will be starting my masters in public health in the fall. I am very interested in working for some kind of humanitarian agency, organization, or project. I am willing to work with any agency or organization that its ultimate goal is to help others, but I am more interested in international humanitarian agencies. I am willing to move around in order to help different populations around the world. I wanted to know what are some good organizations that are known to help those most in need? Thank you.
#public-health #epidemiology #medicine

4

Amber’s Answer

0

Hi Omar, I hope you are having a great summer. Since you likely already have some of the masters classes started from last year, I wanted to answer the question about how to research organizations that have humanitarian goals and how you can begin to determine their international scope. I work in Corporate Social Responsibility currently and have some experience in reviewing and comparing organizations, especially in times of disaster relief efforts.

You may want to consider if you want to work for a U.S. based nonprofit or an NGO (non-govermental organization) in that country. There are some good websites below to consider when reviewing and comparing nonprofits in the U.S.

1) You can look up ratings on agencies that focus on health at Charity Navigator. Here is a link to a nonprofit called CARE and it gives you a snapshot of the work they do etc. While it is great for donors, it is also a nice research tool to compare nonprofits in the most general sense. https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3568

2) You can also cross reference on a site called GuideStar. Here is a link for a nonprofit called Charity Water https://www.guidestar.org/profile/22-3936753 .You can review all of the financials, CEO and annual reports etc.

Both rating agencies are good places to explore when searching for international humanitarian organizations based in the U.S.

Amber recommends the following next steps:

• Explore charitable giving rating agencies for international organizations.
  • Consider adding an international law class to your program, if it is not already required.
0