55
Updated 3467 views

What part of your job do you love the most?

I am an incoming freshman (Undeclared) with interests in Civil Engineering, Environmental Policy, Biostatistics, Data Science, Sociology, Public Health, Entrepreneurship, Product Design, Network Administration, and Financial Analyst & Planning. I am exploring different career possibilities so I would like to get a peek into everyone's daily life. Any highlights in these careers? Is job prospect and salary important (of course happiness is my #1 priority though)

#public-health #business #public-health #Civil #Engineering #Environmental #Policy #Biostatistics #Data #Science #Sociology #Public #Health #Entrepreneurship #Product #Design #Network #Administration #Financial #Analyst #Planning #STEM #major #undeclared

55

1

Sofia’s Answer

Hello Caitlin,

I am a business analyst at Airbnb. My favourite part of my job is being the liaison between our data science teams, engineering teams and the business unit. Everyone is very talented in different ways and so I get to interact with a bit of everything everyday. It is very interesting.

Your question includes very differing specialities. This this will narrow down as you go through university. I would suggest when thinking about your career to; yes, do something that makes you happy/enjoy but look for a profession that is in demand and is not likely to be phased out in the near future. Data professions are great.

Thank you comment icon Thanks, can't wait to put this advice into action! Samuel
1
1

Ryan’s Answer

Hi Caitlin,

As someone who studied sociology in undergrad, public administration in grad school, served in the Marines, and spent the last 20 years in technology management, I've had quite a diverse career journey. Each of these experiences has helped shape who I am today and contributed to my professional growth.

Reflecting on my career, the part I love the most about my job in technology management is the opportunity to bring together diverse teams and leverage their skills to solve complex problems. As a leader, I find immense satisfaction in seeing my team members grow, both professionally and personally. I also enjoy the fast-paced nature of the tech industry, which keeps me on my toes and ensures that there is never a dull moment.

Throughout my journey, I've been fortunate to gain insights into various fields, from civil engineering to financial planning. I've realized that what's most important is to find a career that aligns with your passions and values. Job prospects and salary are essential considerations, but ultimately, happiness and fulfillment should be your top priority.

Keep exploring, keep asking questions, and be curious. Let the curiosity never stop!
1
0

Melanie’s Answer

Hi Caitlin,

I love connecting with my peers and learning about the latest technology. The more knowledgeable I am then I know I will provide a better experience for customers. Verizon give us the tools we need to become a better leader and inspire us to be a better person overall.
0
0

Hi Caitlin,

I also entered college as undeclared (once upon a time). I also ended up in a field separate from my undergraduate degree after having gone through unrelated jobs - restaurant business, youth counseling, paralegal work, and finally corporate (data & business sides).

Job prospects and salaries are important for several factors. Some jobs are only available in certain locations. You may either need to relocate to find a job in your career. You also need to consider your standard of living and expenses for both what you want to do in life as well as where you want to live. The Bay Area is an expensive place to live and would require a higher salary than for example, the mid-west. You can run searches but here is one article on housing costs: https://www.rd.com/advice/average-house-costs-in-each-state/

Your personality will also play a factor in your career. Are you happy working alone or as part of a team? Do you need to interact with folks every day? Are you comfortable with travel? How well do you do with unexpected change? I prefer to have future plans laid out in detail but the nature of my work requires me to be flexible as leaders change business priorities.

When I worked in mental health as a youth counselor, it was personally rewarding when you were able to connect with one of the youths or see them take steps to improve themselves. My particular location had some physical risk though as they could and sometimes did become violent.

I have been with my current company for 10+ years. I have been incredibly lucky to have been exposed to different aspects of the business, having worked in such areas as Operations, Marketing, and most recently Customer Experience. Right now I can both work remotely or go on-site. This gives me flexibility to spend time with my children but also go into the main offices to collaborate in person. Along with this, I enjoy designing business and data processes. How do I meet today's needs while setting up my organization (and company) for future success.

David recommends the following next steps:

Determine your personality type. Do you need to plan in detail or tend to roll with the punches? Do you like to collaborate as part of a team or work as an individual contributor?
Research job prospects for your interest areas. Are there job opportunities or are the markets oversaturated? What is the salary range and education requirements? Do you need additional education? Is the salary enough to support you more than living paycheck to paycheck?
Search for volunteer opportunities. Hands-on experience is a great way to learn what you truly enjoy (or what you absolutely hate).
0
0

Vanessa’s Answer

I work in Public Health, Emergency Preparedness and Response. What I like most about my job is that when a bad disaster strikes, I know that all my hard work, getting my community ready, means that more people will be safe. The disaster will feel more like a bump in the road instead of head on collision.

0
0

Harish’s Answer

Hi Caitlin,

When you get into a job, the part that you would love the most would be the fact that your work is being deemed as valuable and you are contributing to the team. Also, the desire to learn a new thing every day would make you want to spring out of your bed and go to work. This will keep you going for years and years in your life.

Hope this helps.
0
0

Lilian’s Answer

Ultimately it comes down to who you will spend your time with as it is likely you will spend more time with colleagues than with your family so for me I enjoy the work culture and team camaraderie the most. To give you a more specific example I was working in my area of interest but the work culture was terrible - there was no trust in the senior leadership and you weren't given the resources to do your job. I have since moved to another role where the work itself is not as challenging but I truly come into work with a smile on my face everyday because I love the company's mission and the people that I work with. You never know where your next job might lead you.
0
0

Ramesh’s Answer

based on your interest, it seems like you will be better off with Biostatistics, Data Science combination work.
Thank you comment icon Hi Ramesh, Can you speak a little more about these roles and why you think the student is a good fit? Gurpreet Lally, Admin
0
0

Joyal’s Answer

Well there are number of things I love about my job. Also I love them cause I have been passionate about them for a long time.
1) Thinking outside box to solve a problem
2) Collaborating with colleagues
3) Learning something new in Tech everyday

I would suggest you to make your list. The list of items that drives you, the list that you are passionate about.
That would help you narrow down your next gig.
0
0

Bri’s Answer

Hi,

My degree is in sociology and I work for the State of Illinois in Human Services specifically Mental Health. My favorite part of my job is helping people but also I got a great shift that works with my life. My job is to provide care/treatment or habilitation and development for people with intellectual disabilities. Like any other job it can be quite challenging. The reward is seeing the positive impact you have on someone’s life.
0
0

Frank Perez’s Answer

Working on projects with employees in other organizations. You learn more about the company, learn how other organizations work, build working relationships and contacts.
0
0

My-Phuong’s Answer

I am a Product Owner for the Collateral applications at Fannie Mae and I enjoy the balance of being involved with the business requirements and business process along with working with the technical team to enhance our company's applications. It is rewarding to see the final results being used by end users once the production deployment is successful.
0
0

Alejandra’s Answer

Hi Caitlin,

I am a people manager at Cisco Systems. What I enjoy the most is to have the opportunity to listen to my team and coach them or give them advise on what excites or worries them.

Best,

0
0

Kumar’s Answer

I am TECHNICAL CONSULTING ENGINEER In Cisco . The Best part of what I Love in my company is that we solve Network service providers customer issues .

We help customer and when they feel happy about their issues are getting solved I also feel proud and happy.
0
0

Rohit’s Answer

As a consulting engineer , I love to solve my customer's problems. I like to advice my customers on number of things/technologies which will make customer's network better and stable.
I enjoy all the learning opportunities i get on day-to-day basis.
0
0

Kawtar’s Answer

the part that i love the most is the fact that i'm talking to different people from all the globe which gives me an opportunity to know new cultures and discover different minds of people.

0
0