What part of your job do you love the most?

12

I am an incoming freshman (Undeclared) with interests in Civil Engineering, Environmental Policy, Biostatistics, Data Science, Sociology, Public Health, Entrepreneurship, Product Design, Network Administration, and Financial Analyst & Planning. I am exploring different career possibilities so I would like to get a peek into everyone's daily life. Any highlights in these careers? Is job prospect and salary important (of course happiness is my #1 priority though)

#public-health #business #public-health #civil #engineering #environmental #policy #biostatistics #data #science #sociology #public #health #entrepreneurship #product #design #network #administration #financial #analyst #planning #stem #major #undeclared

12

Ken’s Answer

0

The most important thing that you can do is to find out what you might love best about a job in a specific career aera and factor that into planning for your career. Here are some steps that have helped many to make such a decision:

• get to know yourself to see how your personality traits might match with career areas to see how they match with successful people in those areas
  • pursue face to face interpersonal networking opportunities with people in those career areas to determine if you are making a decision that will allow you to become involved in a situation that you will find to be comfortable and satisfying and productive for you.

Getting to know yourself and how your personality traits relate to people involved in various career opportunities is very important in your decision making process. During my many years in Human Resources and College Recruiting, I ran across too many students who had skipped this very important step and ended up in a job situation which for which they were not well suited. Selecting a career area is like buying a pair of shoes. First you have to be properly fitted for the correct size, and then you need to try on and walk in the various shoe options to determine which is fits the best and is most comfortable for you to wear. Following are some important steps which I developed during my career which have been helpful to many .

Ken recommends the following next steps:

• The first step is to take an interest and aptitude test and have it interpreted by your school counselor to see if you share the personality traits necessary to enter the field. You might want to do this again upon entry into college, as the interpretation might differ slightly due to the course offering of the school. However, do not wait until entering college, as the information from the test will help to determine the courses that you take in high school. Too many students, due to poor planning, end up paying for courses in college which they could have taken for free in high school.
  • Next, when you have the results of the testing, talk to the person at your high school and college who tracks and works with graduates to arrange to talk to, visit, and possibly shadow people doing what you think that you might want to do, so that you can get know what they are doing and how they got there. Here are some tips: ## http://www.wikihow.com/Network ## ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/nonawkward-ways-to-start-and-end-networking-conversations ## ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/4-questions-to-ask-your-network-besides-can-you-get-me-a-job?ref=carousel-slide-1 ##
  • Locate and attend meetings of professional associations to which people who are doing what you think that you want to do belong, so that you can get their advice. These associations may offer or know of intern, coop, shadowing, and scholarship opportunities. These associations are the means whereby the professionals keep abreast of their career area following college and advance in their career. You can locate them by asking your school academic advisor, favorite teachers, and the reference librarian at your local library. Here are some tips: ## https://www.careeronestop.org/BusinessCenter/Toolkit/find-professional-associations.aspx?&frd=true ## ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/9-tips-for-navigating-your-first-networking-event ##
  • It is very important to express your appreciation to those who help you along the way to be able to continue to receive helpful information and to create important networking contacts along the way. Here are some good tips: ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-informational-interview-thank-you-note-smart-people-know-to-send?ref=recently-published-2 ## ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/3-tips-for-writing-a-thank-you-note-thatll-make-you-look-like-the-best-candidate-alive?bsft_eid=7e230cba-a92f-4ec7-8ca3-2f50c8fc9c3c&bsft_pid=d08b95c2-bc8f-4eae-8618-d0826841a284&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_20171020&utm_source=blueshift&utm_content=daily_20171020&bsft_clkid=edfe52ae-9e40-4d90-8e6a-e0bb76116570&bsft_uid=54658fa1-0090-41fd-b88c-20a86c513a6c&bsft_mid=214115cb-cca2-4aec-aa86-92a31d371185&bsft_pp=2 ##
  • Here are some sites that will allow you to learn about the vast opportunities available within the area of engineering: ## https://www.engineergirl.org/ ## ## http://www.futureengineers.org/ ## ## https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zVcmTJSKM ## ## http://stemtosteam.org/ ## ## https://www.asme.org/career-education/articles/undergraduate-students/engineering-still-needs-more-women ##
0

Sheila’s Answer

0
Hi Caitlin:

This is a fantastic question and I'm excited to share with you my experience on "what part of your job do you like the most". Listed below are a few areas that I enjoy; although they are in no particular order. . .

1) I enjoy working with team members around the globe. I get to collaborate with various diverse teams across multiple time zones, learn about their cultures, their families, share in experiences, etc.
2) I participate on several internal teams defined by the manager, department and/or leadership. Wooowwwww! This is such an awesome experience that affords me the opportunity to learn a great deal about the company, other partner organizations that are outside of my projects, and pathways to working with subject matter experts (SMEs) for learning new technology
3) Training in various areas (ie, "How To Guides", Job Aids, Demos, Presentations, Templates"), which leads to my dabbling in fun stuff a little such as website design (ie, AT&T's internal tSpace, Wiki). This goes a long way because I often get a chance to train and mentor my colleagues along the way

I wish you much success on your journey and I hope you find the love and peace within your career.

Best of luck to you!

~ Sheila
0

Vishal’s Answer

0

As a technical consulting engineer, I like coming to work knowing that I am likely to encounter a new challenging technical situation to which a solution will need to be provided urgently.

One gets to use problem solving abilities and remains always on their toes , while also learning to stay humble.

To get to be able to use and develop skills to calm the nerves of customers facing urgent and often catastrophic network snags and to help them restore functionality is an added bonus.

As with any job, you also get an opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of the business side.

0

Lilian’s Answer

0
Ultimately it comes down to who you will spend your time with as it is likely you will spend more time with colleagues than with your family so for me I enjoy the work culture and team camaraderie the most. To give you a more specific example I was working in my area of interest but the work culture was terrible - there was no trust in the senior leadership and you weren't given the resources to do your job. I have since moved to another role where the work itself is not as challenging but I truly come into work with a smile on my face everyday because I love the company's mission and the people that I work with. You never know where your next job might lead you.
0

Vishal’s Answer

0

As a technical consulting engineer, I like coming to office knowing that a new challenge may come up and a solution/workaround will need to be provided urgently.

This not only involves a lot of problem solving skills, but keeps you on your toes and teaches you to be humble and skills you to be able to connect the dots to solve a bigger problem even if it isn't something you were blessed with at birth.

To get an opportunity to calm the nerves of customers dealing with outages, and helping them fix urgent technical issues is an added bonus.

You've mentioned Network Administration, so you could expect the same, but less occasions of putting out fires; so more happiness.

As with any job, you tend to develop a deeper understanding of how things function at a business level.

0

Sofia’s Answer

0

Hello Caitlin,

I am a business analyst at Airbnb. My favourite part of my job is being the liaison between our data science teams, engineering teams and the business unit. Everyone is very talented in different ways and so I get to interact with a bit of everything everyday. It is very interesting.

Your question includes very differing specialities. This this will narrow down as you go through university. I would suggest when thinking about your career to; yes, do something that makes you happy/enjoy but look for a profession that is in demand and is not likely to be phased out in the near future. Data professions are great.

0

Precious’s Answer

0

I love helping people. Customer service is what I do. I work withtwo companys doing research and own two others one is Finance where I educate people who needs to get out of debt and needs to be financial free. Then I’m a Art Agent where I help Artist fine places to display their art. The other company is called Genus is Common where you do a video telling about yourself and what your Genus is so other like yourself would know you are already a Genus. I tell people about it. So you see everything I do is Customer Service.

0

Vanessa’s Answer

0

I work in Public Health, Emergency Preparedness and Response. What I like most about my job is that when a bad disaster strikes, I know that all my hard work, getting my community ready, means that more people will be safe. The disaster will feel more like a bump in the road instead of head on collision.

0

Kawtar’s Answer

0

the part that i love the most is the fact that i'm talking to different people from all the globe which gives me an opportunity to know new cultures and discover different minds of people.

0

Pavol’s Answer

0

from my experience I would tell you to focus on getting the experience and developing your skills first. If possible for first couple of years focus on the jobs rather than salary. Every single job will teach you something. Then once you understand what works and what not for you start to build your career. And what do I love the most? When my peers are happy and satisfied with my work and that it helps to make their professional lives easier.

0

Marianne’s Answer

0

Caitlin.

The part of my job I love is being able to help our business staff. I really love being able to make our business staff job easier or be able to help them solve an issue they are having that prevents them from getting their job done. I love my job because it is all about customer service and helping others. It is a great feeling at the end of the day when you are able to make a difference and help someone else.

0

Somnath’s Answer

0

I am a Manager at Cisco, and i enjoy the opportunity to Interact, listen and help my Team Members!

0

Alejandra’s Answer

0

Hi Caitlin,

I am a people manager at Cisco Systems. What I enjoy the most is to have the opportunity to listen to my team and coach them or give them advise on what excites or worries them.

Best,

0

0

Hi Caitlin,

I also entered college as undeclared (once upon a time). I also ended up in a field separate from my undergraduate degree after having gone through unrelated jobs - restaurant business, youth counseling, paralegal work, and finally corporate (data & business sides).

Job prospects and salaries are important for several factors. Some jobs are only available in certain locations. You may either need to relocate to find a job in your career. You also need to consider your standard of living and expenses for both what you want to do in life as well as where you want to live. The Bay Area is an expensive place to live and would require a higher salary than for example, the mid-west. You can run searches but here is one article on housing costs: https://www.rd.com/advice/average-house-costs-in-each-state/

Your personality will also play a factor in your career. Are you happy working alone or as part of a team? Do you need to interact with folks every day? Are you comfortable with travel? How well do you do with unexpected change? I prefer to have future plans laid out in detail but the nature of my work requires me to be flexible as leaders change business priorities.

When I worked in mental health as a youth counselor, it was personally rewarding when you were able to connect with one of the youths or see them take steps to improve themselves. My particular location had some physical risk though as they could and sometimes did become violent.

I have been with my current company for 10+ years. I have been incredibly lucky to have been exposed to different aspects of the business, having worked in such areas as Operations, Marketing, and most recently Customer Experience. Right now I can both work remotely or go on-site. This gives me flexibility to spend time with my children but also go into the main offices to collaborate in person. Along with this, I enjoy designing business and data processes. How do I meet today's needs while setting up my organization (and company) for future success.

David recommends the following next steps:

• Determine your personality type. Do you need to plan in detail or tend to roll with the punches? Do you like to collaborate as part of a team or work as an individual contributor?
  • Research job prospects for your interest areas. Are there job opportunities or are the markets oversaturated? What is the salary range and education requirements? Do you need additional education? Is the salary enough to support you more than living paycheck to paycheck?
  • Search for volunteer opportunities. Hands-on experience is a great way to learn what you truly enjoy (or what you absolutely hate).
0