I have recently changed my major to Public Relations and begin the program in this upcoming fall. As a transfer student what are some tips you recommend for students entering into the College of Journalism and Communications?

1
1

Devon’s Answer

0
Be ready to write! When I was in college I switched from a business degree to PR (and loved it). In advance of your first semester, you can go ahead and read up/learn about the general rules/guidelines for how to write a press release. You'll most likely have a course that drills you on press release writing since its a key component of the job. Also, join PRSSA - usually each school has its own chapter of the national organization. Attend any of their events that you can - they offer great learning opportunities. Follow and subscribe to various PR and communications thought leaders and websites. Good luck!

Devon recommends the following next steps:

• Search & learn how to write a press release
  • Join/follow PRSSA and other comms and PR groups
0

Emani’s Answer

0
The best advice I can give is to continue to learn, grow and experience everything in that field to soak up as much knowledge you can about the profession. Join any relative organizations that focus in that area to become exposed to various opportunities, such as PRSSA, Public Relations Society of America. By getting involved, you take a first step into the PR world with experience that can be applied to your classwork or any opportunity forthcoming.
0