What is the typical work day of a Speech Therapist working at an elementary school entail?

1

I am interested in going to college for Speech Pathology and working at a local elementary school. I need to know what a typical day's work will contain
#speech-language-pathology #speech-therapy #speech-pathology #speech-therapist

1

Lorraine’s Answer

1
Hi Alishondra,

So exciting for you to consider SLP. I don't have extensive experience as an SLP, as I'm a recent graduate. However, I did do my clinical fellowship year in one.

Here are the main points in a typical day off the top of my head (from my experience). Of course, every school setting varies. I got really lucky in that I had a really great contracting company as well as supportive district with good personalities (and a healthy budget!) All of which affect a typical work day.

-Answering and responding to emails. Most SLPs are loaded with paperwork to either review online or in paper. Emails are usually never ending. In the beginning of the school year, scheduling is a lot of work- can take up to a couple months- and you spend more time on your computer than seeing your students or working with colleagues.
-Prepping for meetings (Present Levels of Educational Performance (PLEP))
-pick up students (ranges from 1-3 students). This is usually back-to-back till the end of the school day. I love this part, as spending time with the students is a really special, fun and rewarding experience.
-conduct therapy (25mins each)
-clean up materials write up sessions notes after each session (5mins)
-End of the day paperwork/file revisions/evaluation planning, and answering emails
-IEP meetings or meetings attend
1

Arthera’s Answer

0
Hello...I am an older lady, who has a degree in speech pathology. I would recommend checking with your local elementary school, in your community. Speech therapists are assigned to schools through their school system’s human resource department, in which procedures and guidelines vary from state to state. You would be wise to contact your local elementary school in your community, to express you career interest. It would perhaps provide you with a speech pathologist, who could share with you her/his day-day experiences. It is a good field to practice speech therapy. Go hunting!
0