What are healthy ways to fight stress?

Asked Sikeston, Missouri

Stress is my personal leading cause for weight gain. Whether it be from work, school, or just being an adult. Any ideas for healthy (not costly or very time consuming) to battle stress. #stress ##adulting #weight-management

Fiona’s Answer

Updated Quincy, Massachusetts

I'd recommend four things - meditation, yoga, fishing and painting. For meditation, I'd recommend using the app Headspace. For yoga, hiphop yoga surprisingly helps stress because it truly takes your mind away from whatever you are thinking at the moment. For fishing, it's not for everyone, but it's almost a form of meditation. The ocean is a very calming force that helps with the mind. Lastly, painting is a great way to find stress relief, don't worry about it if you haven't done any of these before, you might enjoy it more than you expected.

Diana’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

You may want to start with what you are doing that might be causing the stress that you can control. Are you overworking, overexercising, over caffeinating? Those will all do it among other things. Then think about how you wake up... do you go immediately to your phone? That is stressful. Instead, wake up, and try smiling (even if you don't want to; which you won't), then list 3 things you're grateful for in your head; and then try adding an intention/mantra that will take you into your day. I like something like "Life is fun and easy and there is plenty of time for everything." Try to take that in and practice saying it ALL day. Do you meditate? If not, try it. Just a minute of closing your eyes, deep breathing, and allowing your stressful thoughts to just fall away temporarily is a great stress reducer. Do it consistently and its magice. You may think you don't have time for relaxation and play, but the truth is that life will flow, answers will come, and things will just "happen" to work out much better if you prioritize yourSELF and your own mental health. Without that, what's the point anyway? Set time first thing in the morning and then before you go to bed to honor your inner world so to speak. And finally, look at WHY you're stressed. What are you trying to "achieve?" and why do you want it?? If you get it at the expense of your happiness in life, is it even worth it? How can you make it better? Journal on that one! There is no "quick" fix in a sense because most people want to just continue push push pushing and then take a pill to make them feel better, but the answer is actually even simpler. Just take time out to breathe, and reflect and take a shower, and stop listening to those incessant stressful thoughts in your head.

Diana recommends the following next steps:

• Wake up in the morning and smile, say three things you're grateful for, and repeat a mantra to start your day "Life is fun & easy and there is plenty of time for everything." (*Don't open your phone or computer until after you've set the tone of your day.)
  • In the middle of a stress outbreak, BREATHE. In for 5,hold for 5, out for 5 hold for 5. Repeat 10 times while allowing your thoughts to just take break.
  • Pay attention to the habits that cause more stress (too much caffeine, work, to do lists, over-exercise, crappy relationships etc)
  • Meditate. I love the app called Insight Timer.
  • Be kind to someone randomly.

Alisha’s Answer

Updated Plano, Texas

Wake up and be positive, exercise, eat healthy and spend time with my family.

Hi Alisha. When you were in High School, did you use these methods to deal with stress? Or are these things that you've learned over time?

Karen’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

Exercise is always a good stress release.  You don't have to spend a lot of money or belong to a good gym but just get outside and get moving.  Even if you start w/ a walk per day.   I also find that stepping away from electronics and doing something that just makes you happy will be helpful.  Spending time with family or friends.  If you work - do something completely different from your career path when you get home from work. it will help expand your skills while relaxing.

Brenda’s Answer

Updated Aubrey, Texas

Meditation, working out, proper nutrition, sleep, self development

Developing a consistent routine can be very helpful in fighting stress. Plan out what goals you may have to help you out, whether it be working out and eating right! It's also great to have an accountability partner!

Aaron’s Answer

Updated Plano, Texas

Stress is ever present as anyone will tell you. Try to think about the problem or issues that are stressing you out, and determine whether it is in your control. If it is out of your control, is it worth worrying and stressing out? I know that is easier said than done, but stressing about things that are out of your control is something you can never get out of. Those things you do have control over, I find it best to talk with someone about the issue to develop strategy to over come the stressor. Exercise is always something that will help as it releases endorphins which we all know is the happy hormone! It also will take your mind off of your stress, helping you to come back at a later time refreshed and ready to tackle your stress points

Shelia’s Answer

You have some excellent advice from on this feed. I would only add that you can benefit from getting adequate sleep, moderate exercise and a good diet. Creating lists and using a calendar to schedule things are important can help you to say focused and worry less. If there are environmental factors that are causing you stress, step back and determine what the source is. Find a confidant (BFF), therapist, teacher, pastor, parent or guardian that you can talk to help you tackle issues head on. All the best to you and take care of yourself!

Some of my favorite ways to fight stress include trying to eat healthy, exercising, and spending time with family doing fun activities. Eating healthy and exercise will give your body a better chance to fight off stressers. Family activities like playing games or even eating meals together, help to build a better bond which can relieve stress.

Tracy’s Answer

Updated Grapevine, Texas

Exercise and eating right.

Stephen’s Answer

Updated Apopka, Florida

Exercise! Has the double sided benefit of physical health but the natural endorphin release combined with the focus needed and relaxed state after is a unique, easy and fun way to let go of stress in a positive way.

Updated Dallas, Texas

Meditation, regular exercise and complete attention to a hobby or activity work great for me. For meditation I use apps that provide guided sessions Headspace and Waking Up are the 2 I've used the most. I good workout always helps to release excess energy. And I am always the least stressed when I am completely immersed in an activity I enjoy. It really can be anything, gaming, a great movie, listening to music or enjoying time with family. Whatever gets you to completely focus and be present without worrying about the things that are the cause of your stress.

Beverley’s Answer

Meditation and exercise have always worked best for me. I made the commitment to excercise 20 minutes first thing in the morning. And BEFORE I touch my phone. It really helps!

James’s Answer

Updated Hawthorne, California

I have been running for almost 10 years and it has reduced my stress level significantly. Any sort of exercise is a good stress reliever. It has been scientifically proven.

Mari’s Answer

Updated Frisco, Texas

Walking 30-45 minutes a day will do a world of good. Practicing breathing each also will help every day.

rena’s Answer

Updated Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Exercising always helps me when I'm stressed. Jogging is an inexpensive way to exercise. Buy the best pair of running shoes you can afford and get outside....it helps!

Jeremy’s Answer

Updated Herndon, Virginia

I would say therapy is a great way to manage stress.  Mostly all insurances cover therapy sessions with a small copay (usually $25 per session).  Weekly or bi-weekly sessions are most effective for an hour each.  Not overly time consuming and not expensive.  Invest that small amount of time and money in yourself.  Good luck!

Kevyn’s Answer

Finding the root of your stress is key, so the above answers are very good in giving you those suggestions. I listen to podcasts at work that help with my stress. I listen to podcasts hosted by comedians that I know will make me laugh. When I laugh it reduces my stress. Hopefully it does the same for you.

Kevyn recommends the following next steps:

• Joe Rogan Podcasts
  • Joe Santagato (The Basement Yard)