What is some advice for a person planning to attend Law School?

Updated Prairieville, Louisiana

Is Law School really as hard as people say it is? I’ve read that Law School is extremely high-pressure and stressful, and that the LSAT and bar exams are very difficult to pass. What would be some advice for an aspiring law student? #law-school #lsat #college #graduate-school

Hi Grace! It is great to see that you are thinking about Law School. I just finished my first year last week at Loyola Law, Los Angeles and here was my experience.

Is Law School really as hard as people say it is? 

This past year has been extremely challenging, but I don't think that is such a bad thing. I worked hard everyday to give myself the best chance at success. It was difficult and draining year, but now I feel proud. It is very rewarding knowing that I gave it my best effort.

LSAT

Like the SAT, there is no passing the LSAT. It is a standardized test that is supposed to measure how you will do in Law School. Study hard, do all the practice problems you can, simulate the test environment, and then do your best.

Bar Exam

I can't give the best advice on this. I will say that this shouldn't stop you from Law School because it is way too many steps down the line to let this stop you.

Advice

The best advice that I got was to make a routine and stick to it. I tried to stick to the same schedule every day and that includes carving out time for yourself. There are going to be so many hours that you are in work mode but a routine will keep you on track and keep your stress levels down.

Try your hardest to learn how to speed read. This will help with the LSAT and Law School.

In school, pay attention and work hard in your writing class. Great writers have a huge advantage during tests. A lot of the class will know roughly the same info, but your writings skills will elevate your grade above the rest of the class.

Lastly, try to work at a law firm or in the courts just to make sure that you absolutely want to be a lawyer. If you are 100% sure about being a lawyer then don't let the LSAT and Law School stop you from reaching your goal.

I hope this helped! Good luck with Law School!

Bryant’s Answer

Updated Menlo Park, California

Hi Grace,

Bryant here from the CareerVillage team!

Your question made me think of another student's question we had about attending law school that received some awesome advice from 2 lawyers. I wanted to share that question with you here so you could read their advice while we get your question answered as well!

Here is the link to that advice:

https://www.careervillage.org/questions/85549