There are many things to think about...
1) Response - when you put yourself out in the community, you may run into others who may or may not like your cause. How are you going to respond? Are you ready to take on whatever comes your way?
2) Project Management skills are critical. Here is a link that offers a free glimpse on taking on a project. I have never been through the link, but I thought it would be valuable.
3) Funds - do you need to reach out to others to raise money for your event? Are you comfortable in asking? If you go into this area, you need to understand the laws regarding this subject.
4) Support - do you have a group of people who will be able to help you with your cause?
5) Why are you doing this? It is good to reflect on why you are doing what you are doing. What we do early in our career may carry us into what we do as an adult.
6) Get involved in the community - Non-profit organizations are always looking for volunteers to help manage projects. This may be a good stepping stone to determine if this is something you really want to do.