4

Are scholarships worth it?

I applied to numerous amount of scholarships when I was in undergraduate school and I received one that was through one of my professor's friend. However, the ones I applied online from all of the scholarship search engines came up blank. I am now applying to graduate school and I am wondering if there is anybody out there that have actually won one of these scholarships? Are they worth the time I am spending applying or would I be better off just picking up another shift at work? #college #scholarships #graduateschool #payingforcollege

4

1

Whitney’s Answer

Hi Samantha,

I believe scholarships are worth it. Anything to bring down the cost of school and what you potentially will have to owe back will help with your future. I would apply to scholarships that may be specific to you. Try and find scholarships specifically for physical therapy school. This would decrease the number of applicants in comparison to a general scholarship, giving you a better chance or receiving it. If you use www.fastweb.com, you can put in specifics about yourself and they narrow down the scholarships that fit you best. You don't need to let applying for scholarships overwhelm you and take up all your time. By narrowing down your options so that they are suited for you, can help you spend less time applying and a better chance of receiving them.

Whitney recommends the following next steps:

Visit scholarship sites to find some that are specific to you and your needs
1
0

William’s Answer

Hi Samantha. I would second Whitney's answer, and add that many graduate programs provide funding for you in the form of fellowships, teaching assistantships, etc. I'm not sure whether this is the case for the program you are trying to get into, but it would be worth your time to reach out to the specific graduate programs you are applying to and see what kind of funding they offer their students. You might also e-mail some of their current students and see what kind of funding they have been able to find. That would help you narrow down your search.
0