For any interior designers out there, what were the steps you took to get to where you are now? Any advice

Asked Anaheim, California

My advise is to get a degree in ID, choose a school or program that focuses on the type of design you are interested in and that is accredited. Once you have your degree, interview or request informational interviews with different types of firms, they all have different design focuses and find what interest you. Don't be afraid to try different types of design or related fields of design, there are so many possibilities.

I knew I wanted to focus on commercial interior design in workplace (office space design). I then moved into design project management, from there construction project management and also or a very short time was a project manager in commercial furniture. I love to learn and be challenged, I also wanted to learn all aspects of my profession, the only way for me to do that was to try them all.

I am now working for a Tech company as our Global Director of Workplace Design and Construction, traveling to all of our new locations to design, construct and open our new office spaces.

Kim recommends the following next steps:

• Always follow your heart and interests, don't be afraid to try new things and do what makes you happy. If you do all of these things you will have a very happy and fulfilling career and life.