With so much homework and extracurricular activities, what are some of the best study tips to stay organized?

it seems like i can never keep up. If i put in the time i need to study for a Math exam, i'm short of time for English, or Science. Is it better to commit more time to 1 subject or be a 'jack-of'all-trades'? #study

4

Jennifer’s Answer

Keeping a schedule, calendar, or to-do list may help you be organized. What project will take you a long time? Schedule that to occur when you have a large amount of open time. What are quick wins? Schedule that to occur when you have only a half hour open.
It is great you are in extracurricular activities. Use that to your advantage by finding a study-buddy on your team. You can study on your rides to your activities, or during down times.
As you are making your way through the world, become familiar with your strengths. That is what makes you unique and will help you advance levels in your career. It also may help you determine what steps you want to take. Spend some time on your weaknesses, as you may discover what you thought you were not good at, is actually a skill set you were waiting to unlock. But don't let your true weaknesses get you down. No one is perfect. When you get into a career, you will find that a combination of workers with different strengths and weaknesses actually improve productivity as people take on the tasks that fit their strengths.

0

Simeon’s Answer

You want to commit a little bit of study time to each topic each day. For keeping up your willpower for studying, I'd recommend doing microstudying, by which I mean studying in small bursts of fifteen to thirty minutes. It helps the information stick better in your head if you do short bursts of memorization over a longer period of time rather than trying to absorb a lot of information last second.

0

Lara’s Answer

Hey Kendell, I think this is a valid question and sorry nobody has answered it yet. I hope you are still in school. ;)

(Un)fortunately before you can get into higher education or training and specialize, you have to be a jack-of-all-trades in high school. Time management is very important and the way you prioritize your time commitments for each subject will depend on your specific skills and aptitude, because we all have individual strengths and weaknesses. Here is an example from my experience. I was always good in English, but bad at Math (and mediocre in Science). I spent most of my time trying to understand and improve math and do my homework diligently to get a decent grade. English on the other hand came easy to me, I was a fast reader and I did not have to prepare much to be able to discuss a text/book/essay we were covering in class. Often I would prepare homework for english class last minute (or not at all - don't tell anyone) and I went into exams with minimal preparation and got best grades. I could have spent equal amounts of time on math and english, but my math would have suffered and my english would not have improved much.

Lara recommends the following next steps:

Identify your strengths and weaknesses (in school subjects) and focus more time and effort on your weak subjects.
Saved!
Don't let anyone know you are not taking your strong subjects less serious, i.e. still hand in mandatory homework, contribute in class.
Saved!
Form a study group or find a study buddy. If you have opposite strengths you can benefit from learning from each other and learn more effectively together.
Saved!

0