1 answer

Can I study, and finish four years of college, while having an A-2 dependent visa?

Asked Cicero, Illinois

I am not a citizen, not a permanent resident, but I have a valid A-2 dependent diplomatic visa. Can I study college? will I get my certificate? How can I get financial help?
#help #futureteacher #teaching #immigration

1 answer

Krista’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

I work with international students, and my understanding is that *F-2* dependents can study part-time, but only recreationally, i.e., not toward a degree. HOWEVER, according to this chart from ICE in 2018, *A-2* dependents can study without this restriction: https://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/Nonimmigrant%20Class%20Who%20Can%20Study.pdf It also looks like an A-2 dependent who is studying full-time could change his/her visa status to F-1. Additional information is in SEVIS: https://www.ice.gov/sevis

The school you wish to attend should have an international student services office with immigration specialists who will be able to address questions related to your specific visa situation.

Krista recommends the following next steps:

  • Review visa & study information on the US ICE SEVIS website: https://www.ice.gov/sevis
  • Connect with the immigration / international students office at the colleges/universities you wish to attend.