I'm going to college undecided, now what?

How do I know what I want to do? #undecided #firstyear

2

Gloria’s Answer

Since you are just starting your college experience, you should not feel a lot of pressure to decide on a major just yet. Most of your major work is done during your junior and senior year. I would suggest that you work hard on the general courses that you need to take at your university – English, History, Math, etc. I would also recommend that you challenge yourself with the elective courses that you take. If you do not really know what you want to major in, you should start to look in places where you have never looked. Take the elective that you don’t even know what it is. That will expose you to new experiences that may catch your attention. Or you may find that something you don’t think would be a good major is actually what you want to do. You should not be afraid of majors where you are not quite sure what you will do with it as a job. I ended up graduating with what is the equivalent of a Liberal Arts degree at a lot of universities. And what do I do? I am an Instructional Designer.
I learned what my strengths were through working. I didn’t know that I would end up being a Learning and Development professional when I started doing data entry at a credit card company. There I found out I can explain to people how to do their jobs in a way that helped them learn fast. Also consider volunteering with various organizations. That can expose to you different roles, help you find your strengths, and help you to build a network outside of those you find in your every day life.

0

Jillian’s Answer

i think this is great - keeping your options open the first year is not a negative as many people change their major multiple times in college. I would suggest taking note of the courses you really enjoy in this first year. Then explore what career options you would have if you were to continue of a study course with your most enjoyable classes. This will help you identify what you may want to major in & what you’re passionate about.

0