How do you find what you're passionate about?

Asked Charlotte, North Carolina

Everyone always says to choose a career that you are passionate about, but what if you don't know what the one thing you're passionate about is? How do you figure it out? #careers

Reeya’s Answer

Hi Emma,

This is a fantastic question! One that many of us are still trying to figure out in our adult lives. That isn't meant to be a deterrent either. All it is just a reminder that there are limitless opportunities out

there for you.

The most important thing, I believe, is to have FUN trying to figure out what those are.

Me personally...I love talking to people about how to empower themselves and find their voice. I love encouraging people, who seek out my advice, to be the very best version of themselves. This starts with discovering who they are and what makes them most joyful. This is the main reason why I finally decided to become a life coach.

Animals are another passion of mine. I have volunteered at a few local pet adoption centers because I just felt there was something I needed to do to help in that area. And no, I do not enjoy cleaning out "messy" cages. Ha-ha... but I do feel very strongly that the animals in adoption centers deserve to be in a clean environment while they await adoption. So cleaning out cages for me meant the animals would be healthier, less people would turn away if they felt good about what they saw and weren't distracted by messy / unsanitary living conditions. And boy…did it feel good to come back for my shift to find one more pet went to their forever home.

So you see, it doesn't have to be one thing. It could be one or many things. Just don't get discouraged if you discover something you thought was your passion, didn't turn out to be. There's so much to do out there. Also, it’s good to keep in mind that your passion doesn't have to be what you do for a living either; like my volunteering. Just make sure that whatever you do, have fun living your best life!

Reeya recommends the following next steps:

• Read this article below - I believe it will help you get started: The Secret to Finding Your Passion (Hint: It's Not What You Think) By Marie Forleo Read more: http://www.oprah.com/supersoulsunday/the-secret-to-finding-your-passion-hint-its-not-what-you-think_1#ixzz5OLrGFC7N

Victor’s Answer

This is a great question. Sometimes you just have to jump in feet first. Don’t be afraid to try something new. If you realize it’s not making you truly happy look for a new career or opportunity. You may make new friends along the way that may lead you to a career you love.

Lashawn’s Answer

Hi Emma,

When I think about passion, I think about what I would do no matter what. To break it down further, there will be a lot of challenges that you will face in your journey to finding what your passionate about. Along the journey, those challenges will do one of two things; They will either stop you or make you stronger. As you get stronger, you will become more determined in the area that interest you the most. This is the area that you need to focus on because it will be the area that you will become passionate about because you will do it, no matter what. Even to the point where you will do it for free. I am not saying to do it for free, know your worth, but also when you are passionate about it, it becomes less of a job. It is bigger than that, it is about making a difference and discovering what you were put on this earth to do! Hope this helps.

Jeanine’s Answer

Hi Emma! I definitely took a while to find my passion. Honestly, it happened when I least expected it. I figured out that my passion was what was keeping me up at night. It wasn't just a dream, but more like, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Leadership is my passion, and I know that it is true because I love people. I love seeing them succeed and develop into their careers. It makes me feel incredible to see others do well! You will find your passion, and it is ok if it doesn't come to you right away. :) I hope this helps!

Adria’s Answer

Updated Atascocita, Texas

The best answer I have to this is to focus on what you are good at or have a talent for, but if there is something you dream about everyday and feel is not possible, know it is! Dreams happen with determination and dedication. Set goals and fulfill them, with a timeline, and most importantly never give up.

Monica’s Answer

Great question! Keep an open mind and expand your interests.