Are business degrees becoming less valuable?

Asked Fayetteville, Arkansas

I've been told we've had a drop in engineers and a rise in "office workers." It makes me feel like I'm wasting my time with a business degree when there are other fields starving for workers. #business

Jen’s Answer

I got a degree in Finance, and I would say personally, it has been value. However, "valuable" to you depends on what you're looking to get out of the degree. If you want to work in business, I would say a business degree is valuable. However, there are many other degrees (outside of a business degree) you can pursue to work in business. I wanted to work in business, and I think my degree has served me well. If nothing else, I learned a lot of skills that help me in my everyday life, like financial planning. I started out in consulting, and now am working in IT.

You make an astute point by saying that other growing fields are in need of skilled workers. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a company that doesn't need a software engineer or someone with technical skills. On the flip side, I think there are still many jobs out there for business majors - the world needs those too.

One important thing to keep in mind is what you want to do. If you're going to be miserable studying software engineering, but want to do it because you think it will help you get a job, chances are you won't like the job it helps you get! There are still plenty of jobs out there for business majors, and a wide variety, too.