Skip to main content
0 answers
0
Updated 6 views

What is the best way to break into finance, especially wealth or asset management, as a college student with no prior finance experience What should I focus on during my last 7 months of school to improve my chances of getting an internship or entry-level position??

How do I break into finance/wealth management with no finance experience?

I’m currently 22 finishing my B.S. in Finance & Technology with a 4.0 GPA, and I’m about 7 months away from graduating. I’ve been taking extra courses to move my graduation timeline up from 2029 to 2027 due to family pressure which is making my stress daily.

Over the past year, I’ve become much more interested in wealth management, asset management, investing, and financial services, but I’m struggling to get my first real finance-related opportunity. I’ve applied to a lot of internships and entry-level positions, even positions that are entry level banking, but I haven’t been able to land anything yet.

I’ve also worked with my school counselor to make my resume as strong as possible based on my experience, so at this point I’m trying to figure out what I should actually be doing differently to break into the industry.

For people already working in finance:

* What’s the best way to get into finance/wealth management when you don’t have prior finance experience?
* How did you get your first finance-related opportunity?
* With about 7 months left before graduation, what should I focus on learning or building right now?
* Are cold emails/LinkedIn networking with wealth-management firms, RIAs, or investment firms actually effective?
* Would it be worth reaching out to smaller firms about internships, part-time positions, or even shadowing opportunities?
* What skills or certifications would make me more competitive? (SIE, Excel, financial modeling, investment analysis, etc.)
* What entry-level positions would you recommend targeting if my long-term goal is wealth or asset management?
* If you were in my position again, what would you do during your final 6–7 months of college to give yourself the best chance of getting into finance?

If I’m unable to land something before graduating, I’m also considering pursuing a Master’s in Finance in Fall 2027, potentially back in New York.

I’d really appreciate advice from anyone who has actually broken into finance, especially wealth management, asset management, investment management, or financial services.

If anyone is willing to connect or share advice about breaking into the industry, I’d really appreciate it.


0

No answers yet