Any tips for maintaining a work-life balance while in school?

Asked Irving, Texas

Abby’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington

Maintaining a work-life balance while in school is challenging, but can be done with good organization. I'm actually in grad school part time right now, while working full time, so I'm well aware of how hard this can be. What works for me is the following-

1. Create a schedule- and stick to it. Every Sunday night I sit down and map out my week and determine when I'll work on each assignment. I do this a week at a time because when I tried doing things more in advance, I found that due dates or assignment details might change. Planning when to get things done leads to the next step-
  2. Schedule time off. When you're mapping out your week schedule a night, or a day, off. Making sure you have a scheduled break time in your week gives you that chance to socialize without feeling guilty about getting behind on your schoolwork.
  3. Stay active with your social network. Even if that means posting a funny picture on Instagram or keeping a streak going on Snapchat, do small things that help you stay connected to your friends. That helps you from feeling isolated.
  4. Plan social activities in advance. If you know there is a festival coming to town, or a concert you're dying to go to, get it on your calendar early so you can plan around it without getting stressed.

You can create your schedule using Google or iCalendar or just grabbing a cheap planner to sketch it out on paper. Then figure out when is your best time to sit down and plan out each week so you can stay balanced.

Abby recommends the following next steps:

• Decide when to create your weekly schedule
  • Start creating your schedule