What is college like?

Asked Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Is it fun, hard, stressful? Do you learn things that are important? Does it help your future? Are the professors fair and understanding? Is living on campus fun? Is joining a club or organization fun? #college #college-advice #professor

Austin’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington

Hi Katherine,

College is well....college. I could literally speak for HOURS on the subject as it is so broad and all encompassing. I just graduated college last year and I am still working my way through the experiences that I had. To echo a point that was brought up previously, college is what you make of it; no two people have the same experience and everyone's college journey as well as lessons learned really depends on how they approached college. There is no "right" way to do college, who you are will shape your approach to college.

College is so much fun as there is no other time in your life that you will be surrounded by people your age with limited responsibilities. Yes you have school work and have to do well, but you arent yet an adult and aren't exactly in the labor force. You should enjoy the time you have as it goes by in a flash. College is stressful for sure as classes aren't easy, but with the proper amount of preparation you will be more than prepared to handle everything that is thrown at you.

My professors were fair and I am so lucky to have been taught by such smart and charismatic people. Sure there are some bad apples, but college professors are almost always excellent.

I could go on and on and on, but I will limit myself for the sake of brevity.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask a follow up question, I am more than happy to help out!!

Best,

Austin

Nick’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

As others have said, college is really what you make of it and will depend on the person. Personally, I loved college. You're with other driven, intelligent people constantly learning on an academic and personal level. Having a college degree opens tons of doors that wouldn't be open without it. It's also a ton of fun. You're surrounded by people your age, and you have time to pursue what you want to pursue. If possible, I highly recommend it.

Jun’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

To your question on whether college helps your future, I think college can definitely help prepare you for the future that you would like to build for yourself. College provides you with a great environment for you to explore and experience. Along the way, you will run into obstacles, you will learn from your success and your mistakes, you will meet new friends, and at the end of it you will have many new tools in your pocket to take on the future.

Molly’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

I'm sure you've heard this before, but college is exactly what you make of it.  You are in charge of your life from here on out, and you can decide if you want to spend your "free" time studying, meeting new people, being active in clubs, working, or anything else. There will be pressure on you to make life decisions like choosing a major, but you shouldn't feel too much stress. Just do the best you can, make decisions you can be proud of, and have some fun.