What can I do with my Criminal Justice degree

Asked Long Beach, California

Recent graduate with a bachelor's in Criminal Justice. I've been job searching but have had no luck so far. #jobsearching #criminal-justice #jobsearching #criminology

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Ashley,

The job search takes time and a LOT of effort. If you would answer a few questions for me, I can better help you with this! In order to address a problem, we have to first be able to narrow it down.

1. Why did you get a CJ degree - what type of jobs are you interested in? Are you willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays?
  2. How many interviews have you had - and, for what types of jobs?
  3. Have you had any "second" interviews for any positions?
  4. Are there any particular types of questions that are causing you problems in the interviews?
  5. What previous work experience do you have, and, are you including it on the application/resume?
  6. How long have you been looking?

As a retired police officer, with applicant review board experience, who went on to work at a job placement center, I believe I can help you! I am looking forward to hearing back from you!

Kim

Hi Kim! 1. I enjoyed reading about crime and how the law works. It's something that fascinates me to this day 2. I don't remember the exact number. It's between 10-20 3. Sort of. With government jobs, you take a written exam and if you pass you'll be asked to come back for an interview. I've been to a few. The farthest I've gotten was the background check. But they picked someone else 4. I don't believe so. Every interview is different and I go in with an open mind 5. I did an internship where I was assigned a courthouse and helped self-represented litigants file their documents. So, I have some legal knowledge. 6. I would say mid-April. Right before I graduated. I really appreciate your help!
This helps! You clearly know how to market yourself in writing, and take a test, so that is good! Normally speaking, a background check means they want you. I encourage you to take a hard look at your documents for any inconsistencies. It could be something as simple as your HS GPA , what years you lived at a certain address, etc.We looked for the tiniest of inconsistencies. Look at your friends and relatives. If any of them have background issues, it could be hurting you. Not fair, I know! If you personally have any background issues, you may try addressing them in the interview, or in a letter you submit with your application (if they allow for extra attachments). Most law enforcement type jobs will even look at your credit rating, FB postings, etc.
(cont)Law enforcement agencies are usually short of women - if you are in good physical condition and willing to work shift work. Others: Parole and probation/dispatcher/civilian evidence technician. Criminal Justice is cross-marketable. You learned about bureaucracy, how to interpret and apply complex laws, and explain them to others. Working with Pro Se litigants gave you an appreciation for those less fortunate than yourself. You are non-judgmental, but, at the same time, have an appreciation for the law and all that it is designed to accomplish. Social services involves a lot of regulatory compliance. You could work as a crime victim advocate (a crossover between social services and law), with pregnant teens, DWI education programs, the workforce center, etc.
(cont)If you are trying to become a paralegal, it has gotten extremely competitive. It often requires a connection, or someone who is simply willing to give you a break. Look at your administrative skills. Everything presented needs to be perfect. You may look at some of the Legal Aid offices for openings. Also, you may need to start at a position lower than paralegal - Admin Asst., File Clerk, etc. Anything to get a foot in the door. If you have any prior jobs, such as call center, retail, fast food, etc., don't overlook the experience you got from those. Customer service jobs really do teach you how to interact with people and how to keep your cool! Stay positive -that is a lot of interviews - you ARE going to find something!