When you were a kid what did you want to be when you became an adult?

21

what did u want to be when you grow up ??? #any #degree #educator #criminal-justice #college

21

Lauren’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett,

I wanted to be a lawyer but I am now an accountant. I found that accounting sparked my interest in college and the career opportunities made the most sense for me.

My recommendation would be to have a dream but don't be afraid to change it.

Lauren
0

Gloria’s Answer

0
I wanted to write books. My mom discouraged me throughout high school since being a published author can be very tricky. I write in my personal time and have since I learned how to write. I went into Banking out of college, doing data entry and then customer service. Over time I was asked to teach other people how to do their jobs. I began writing documentation for them if the materials were not available. Twenty five years later, I am an Instructional Designer. I write training content that can be shared with others or trained by a live instructor. I have written and filmed videos for training as well as self-paced, web-based training. Right now, I am developing a virtual training course that will be launched in Adobe Connect. I write every single day. It wasn't quite how I imagined and yet it makes me very happy. I love using my writing skills to help people get better at the jobs that they do. I would say that you should be flexible about what you expect from your future. What you love can change and evolve in ways that you never expected. I started college at 18. I didn't get a college degree until my mid-30's. I had five majors and did not know what I wanted to do. I ultimately earned my Master's Degree in Instructional and Performance Technology.
0

Kate’s Answer

0
Great question! I wanted to go into the medical field for a while. First, as a paramedic due to a television show I watched then I wanted to become a doctor. I even applied to one college early senior year as pre-med and got accepted. However, senior year I took Calculus and Physics and realized I enjoyed working out the problems assigned in both classes. The more I thought about it I realized I did not really enjoy the memorization that was associated with Biology and Chemistry. Memorization is a large part of getting into the medical field.

At that point, I got confused about what I wanted to. This was also right around the time I was applying to my second batch of colleges. So I wound up applying to different majors at each college I applied to. One college I applied as a Spanish major because I enjoyed learning Spanish and also enjoyed working with children so I thought I could be a Spanish teacher. Then another college I applied as an architecture major since I enjoyed Art in addition to Math and Science.

I ended up changing my major to mechanical engineering after some advisors recommended it would be a good fit for my interest in Math and Science. Even though I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree I went into the telecommunication engineering field. However, the problem-solving skills I learned in mechanical engineer are used every day!
0

Kimberly’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett,

I always wanted to be a teacher. I chose a college based on their teaching program. However, I ended up majoring in Sociology instead of going into their teaching problem, and I am so happy I studied Sociology. This is a major that can relate to many fields and be extremely useful in daily life. I was still able to connect it with some of my child development classes and enough to minor in it. I ended up teaching right out of college and then made a career change and transitioned into sports. It just goes to show that you can change careers at any time if you feel that is the right choice for you and just know you can always go back to your first career. You will never know until you try!
0

Tia’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett!

I started off wanting to be a dance teacher. This stuck with me right up until I was visiting colleges and looking a majoring in both dance and business.

I also always wanted to work in corporate America. Maybe it was a product of seeing the women in shoulder padded jackets on TV in the 80s. But there was a certain allure to conference room presentations and working to make an impact.

So I ended up studying business management in college, taught dance as a hobby on the side, and now I am working in corporate America. And I love it.

Through it all, I made sure that the decisions I was making about my life and career were ones that would provide implementable skills, happiness and value.
0

0
I wanted to be a doctor or engineer due to have family members who are in the field but got a degree in biology and legal studies, work in the field for a short period time and I am now working in the casino, hospitality, tourism field which I enjoy the most because the interaction I am enjoying with the industry.

I would recommend having a dream or a plan but don't be afraid to change it, just never give up on what you want not what society is building among on you.
0

Dennis’s Answer

0
When I was a young kid growing up I wanted to be a Football player in the NFL...made it as far as a tryout with the
New England Patriots at Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro in 1988...

It was a GREAT ride along the way especially all those years in between! No regrets at all...

Received my College Degree in Visual Communications and through the Career path then started working with a Telecommunications Company.

Remember Follow your Dreams and always know and believe that you can do anything you put your mind to -
“I always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come”

Best of Luck to you Garrett!

0

alexys’s Answer

0
When I was growing up I wanted to be a back up dancer. Then moved on from that dream and found interest in Anthropology. I was fascinated how and why we do certain things and were traditions came from. Realized that wasn't the field I wanted to go into anymore. I finally landed on being a optician then a optometrist. I was wanted to learn more of why and what causes us to lose our sight over time. Once I did some digging, I wanted to help these people that struggle with their vision.
0

Debjeet’s Answer

0
Hi Garett,

As a kid, I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up. Planes used to amaze me a lot.
0

Michelle’s Answer

0
When I was little, I wanted to be a pediatrician. During high school, I had more interest in math classes over science classes. So when I applied to college, I pursued business administration and it helped me learn the skills I use in my corporate job today.
0

Jamie’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett

When I was growing up I wanted to be a veterinarian. I found as time went on science and math was not for me. My plan when I went to college was to find a career in Psychology. I later realized that I had an interest in learning how the human mind worked and how different we all were. If i could, i would have stayed in college forever to learn more about the human mind. When i graduated from college with a bacholars degree in psychology i honestly was not sure what my next move would be. Today i find myself working in sales operations. I believe my background in psychology and learning how to communicate with people has helped me in my current role. I work with many different channels and work groups and have a solid relationship with most of my coworkers. The skills i learned in college have helped me with my networking and relationship skills in finding answers and solving problems.
0

Cheang’s Answer

0
HI Garrett,

When I was small , I wanted to be a police or a firefighters because of the sense of justice. I want to help others and protect the society.

However, its hard for me to achieve my dream. Police or firefighters required good physical and health, that's why I change my dream job and discover another interest dream when I studied in secondary school. I like accounting when I was studying in school, so I want to be an accountant at that period, and I am working on it now!
0

Dexter’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett,

When I was very little until about 12 or so, I wanted to be a fighter pilot. My dream was to fly either the F14 or the F15 fighter and shoot down bad guys. I learned and memorized all there was to know about the specifications of various fighters, missiles, bullets, etc. I could tell you the different engine upgrades the F14 received over its lifetime. I would talk to my brother about which fighter was the best one and which one I thought could defeat all the other ones. I learned to enjoy military history and became a bit of a World War 2 buff. As I grew up though, I found that I had poor vision, and my uncles told that I couldn't be a fighter as I didn't have 20/20 vision. So, I gave up that dream for good in high school and focused on math and science.

I'm now a web developer, and even though I'm glad I did not become a fighter pilot, I still read lots of history and I still enjoy keeping up with jet fighters.

Thanks for the question, as this was really fun to think about!

Be safe!

--
Dexter
0

0
Wow! I can't remember anything before middle school. At that time, I wanted to go into science. But I was afraid to take the harder math classes, so, I did not even try. In high school I thought of being a seeing-eye dog trainer. At that time, they had only 4 training facilities in the US, all in huge cities, which did not appeal to me. So, I went to college, not knowing what I wanted to be. And graduated, still not knowing what I wanted to be. I applied and was accepted to work as a police officer. I enjoyed it!
0

Michelle’s Answer

0
I wanted to be a marine biologist because I loved the ocean and sea life and there was so much unknown in marine life. Also, Shark Week on Discovery channel is the best!
0

Dustin’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett,

Growing up I had dreams of becoming a Marine Biologist, with my love of animals and water. During college I realized that I was not as big of a fan of biology and other related courses for such a career. I also found areas that I never knew I enjoyed (numbers/finance/economics).

I've wondered "what if" about it before, that is only normal, but I also understand that I wouldn't be where I am now if I had pursued that.

At the end of the day your dream may not be what ultimately makes you happy as you grow and progress.

Thank you,

Dustin
0

Emesha’s Answer

0
Garret, that's a really good question! I wanted to become an attorney from an early age I could out talk all of my cousins and present the best arguments to my parents especially when there was something I really wanted to do. My grandmother use to tell me that I would make a good attorney. In school, I was always the kid that stood for those would could not defend themselves. I was also on the speech and debate team. However, I did not become an attorney, I am a team lead for a mortgage investment company and from time to time I have the opportunity to share my thoughts and support my team.
0

Ericka’s Answer

0
Hello Garrett,

When I was young I wanted to be a pediatrician. But realized that looking a blood wasn't for me, so I changed my mind. I then had the opportunity of participating in career day and I was a judge. I feel in love with the idea of being a judge. But realized that law and my beliefs didn't align so I again changed my mind. As I got older I started working with kids and they so became my joy (again). So I decided on psychology. But as you know life throws many curve balls and times are changing. So I've learned you have to be flexible and adaptability no matter what you decide. There is no rule that says you can't change your mind or re-invent yourself.
0

Genesis’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett,

Nice question! When I was young I wanted to be an archeologist. I always thought it was fascinating to dig up artifacts and learn about the history behind the items you find. I was always interested in the mystery behind what was alive years ago, way before our time. Unfortunately, I grew up and realized I needed a more stable job. I started thinking about what my interests were and what I enjoyed doing. I always knew I enjoyed math and decided to pursue a career in it. When I was in high school I came across an accounting course that interested me a lot. I took the course and fell in love with the mathematical aspect and the analysing of numbers and organizational skills.

I really admire those who have dreams of becoming something and actual become them as adults. But there are many of us who at the time, they are only dreams or sometimes interests change. I'm thankful enough I came across the experience in school before fully diving in. Hope my experience was helpful and good luck with choosing the right career path for you!

Best wishes,

Genesis

0

Jenna’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett! When I was little I always wanted to be a teacher. I loved going to school and helping others. Then I graduated college and just got my associates degree because I was unsure. I also then realized that I wasn’t the best in school so then I decided not to. I am now a sales manager and love it. I am able to help customers in need and lead a team that’s is successful.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have joined the military 1st, but I didn’t think of that till I was older haha.
Find something that you are passionate about and drive to be the best! Good Luck!
0

Judy’s Answer

0
Hi Garrett,

Childhood dream: Ballerina
College dream: Translator for the U.S. Embassy in South Korea. My major was International Studies and a minor in International Business and Japanese.

Then, life hit me hard. I won't go into details but it left my dreams shattered. I had to drop out of college. My dream was to just get to South Korea. My other option was to enlist in the U.S. Army because I needed guidance. I was signing up to become an interrogator for the general stationed at South Korea.

After some real conversations that questioned my motives, I backed down from joining and worked all sorts of jobs. I had no idea of what I was good at anymore. I thought language was my thing but at this point, I lost confidence.

5 years later I enrolled back into college. This time an accelerated cohort program for working professionals. I thought I wanted to go into ministry and invest in youth students but 5 years of school, while getting married and volunteering, I realized I wanted to change majors to Counseling Psychology. Job option #1, Child Custody Mediator. I soon realized, it was an awfully painful role that I would struggle separating work from life.

Adjusting to marriage, working at a law office and school wasn't easy. It was a longer road than anticipated but I finished 5 years later. We moved across the country to the Midwest and I had a career change. I knew I could do admin work so I applied for an Executive Assistant role at a Fortune 50 company. I worked hard to be as authentic with my skillsets and leveraging my talents into my work. I was soon scouted to join Talent Acquisition due to my creativity and people skills. I've been in the role almost 2 years now.

Sometimes, it's not always about finding the one job and forcing yourself to fit into it. Sometimes, it's about getting know yourself, your strengths and weaknesses and letting those be your North Star.

Judy recommends the following next steps:

• Take Clifton's Strengthfinder test. The more you know yourself the better.
0

Pooja’s Answer

0
Hello Garrett,

When I was a kid, I was so much interested in history and wanted to become an archaeologist. Then when I got into high school, I started to love coding. From then I started looking for career opportunities in this field and started to thrive towards it. the main idea is to make your career a part of your life and not the other way round. Make sure you do what you love and enjoy the process.

I know that we might face several challenges along the way. But remember the main idea is that you need to enjoy what you do and be happy.

Every career is good, it all depends on your interest.
0

George’s Answer

0
I wanted to help/advise others. When I turned 17-18 I thought I had a vocation to be a priest. After 2 years of seminary life it was disappointing, it was not what I thought it'd be. Instead of looking for other alternatives, I fell into depression and drug addiction. After I got sober and through the process of "recovery" and helping others who had been in the same situation, I decided to be a counselor. 35 years after I feel great about that decision. I discovered that it was my real vocation.

George recommends the following next steps:

• Any more information, please feel free to contact me.
0

Stephanie’s Answer

0
I wanted to be a nurse or working in the healthcare profession as i grew up watching my mom in healthcare offices and worked for chiropractor and doctors and pain doctors. i wanted to follow in her footsteps. So after high school i enrolled in medical assistance school to get my feet in the door. I learned a lot and meet a lot of people and teachers.

Life change happens and i declined not to continue schooling and went a different route and been in the mortgage industry for over 12 years. I have enjoyed it and it gives me the same gratitude as if i was helping someone in the healthcare. Knowing that we all are making a difference in peoples lives is the greatest feeling.
0