What type of tech. jobs can I get with a business degree?

Updated Clanton, Alabama

I am majoring in business but also enjoy working with technology/computers. What are some jobs/careers I would be qualified for with a business degree? #tech #business

Liam’s Answer

Hi Christian,

So, there are a few areas you can explore:

• Marketing role within a tech company - I work for Dell, Studied management and marketing. Currently working in the online team, looking after business analytics.

• Online Business Manager - You could be an 'online business manager' within a tech company. In Dell, While this is leaning towards management, you will still be working with cool technology on a daily basis. On a day-to-day basis, they look after the running of the business. They 'paint the picture' of how the business is doing.

• Project management - You could be a 'Scrum-master' within a business. You could suggest/test new ideas - either for their website or perhaps for their products.

• Public relations for a tech company - You would need to have a deep understanding of the technology (which sounds like something you would find easy) and manage how that product and brand is presented to the public. Event management would also come into this.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your future career!

Gwendolyn’s Answer

There are a lot of different types of roles in the technology company I work for, and most of them would be filled by someone with a business degree. Some examples:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • Finance
  • Accounting
  • Human Resources
  • Project management

Gwendolyn recommends the following next steps:

• Find a list of techology companies
  • See if your school can show you alumni who work in those companies
  • Look at their job titles to see if you see different groups which they work for

Maia’s Answer

Working in tech is so much fun and there are a lot of opportunities for early-in-career recent graduates with business degrees. You could explore Business Analyst, Project Management and sales operations roles to start, and once you get in to a company you love, the opportunities to expand your responsibilities across the business will grow. Years ago, when i started my tech career straight out of college, I worked in a sales support/sales operations role and later expended to other parts of the business. Good luck!