Why did you choose tech?

Asked Springfield, Virginia

Tech is so new and coming. Why did you choose to go into the tech industry? #tech

Hi Eldon ... I think Tech chose me. My degree was as a Social Worker and I ended up becoming a secretary in a printer manufacturing company. I was very curious about how the printers worked and spent a lot of time in the tech support department watching people fix them. As I moved forward in my career, I continued to learn more and more about computers and software. In conjunction with my people skills and my desire to help people, I eventually moved into tech support. The bottom line, for me anyway, it that is was something I was, and am still, interested in. I never intended to work in High Tech. I am fascinated by the constant change and growth of technology. Never a dull moment!

Kim recommends the following next steps:

• If you can get a summer job or an internship somewhere that involves technology, you may have a better idea if it interests you.

Ritesh’s Answer

Updated Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

For me, I love things that are logical. If and then. When things work this way, it's easier to understand and also develop. Also, when you really understand the working of things around you, it feels nice. To live in a world, constantly developing, it feels great to be able to contribute to the developments.

Lennert’s Answer

Updated Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Because I love building cool stuff and showing it to people. Tech is a great way to do that, you're constantly learning new stuff and it's easy to improve and share your work.

Desiree’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

Great question, Eldon! I finished college without having a technical degree, but realized I was very interested in systems administration. The problem-solving part of it appealed to me -- I would be presented with a problem and need to research solutions or use my experience. It helped me be excited about my work!

As I learned more in my job, I was able to apply for new opportunities. Technology is great because there are so many free resources to learn and experiment. If there is something that interests you, I'd recommend exploring how it's made with sites like https://www.codecademy.com/. If you have the chance to intern or volunteer for an organization that uses technology, that could be a way of exploring it for yourself.

Desiree recommends the following next steps:

• Explore free resources at Code Academy

Drew’s Answer

My work is aligned with my personal mission to empower others to reach their potential and embrace lifelong learning. Ed Tech has provided the opportunity to impact the lives of educators, students and schools by increasing their engagement with each other and solving challenges on campus.

Drew recommends the following next steps:

• Contact a local chamber of commerce or search for tech companies in your area. Contact the president or ceo requesting an opportunity to learn more about their company with them or with someone they can connect you with. Do some research first so you understand the companies mission, markets and constituents.

Giovanni’s Answer

Updated London, England, United Kingdom

Hi Eldon,

Tech is such a wide industry and many companies now fall into this category, from hospitality to medical support, the list is very long. From my experience, what all these companies shares is the goal of changing our life using technology (from hardware to software). In most cases, these changes are very disruptive and that was the main reason why I choose to be part of them. Making an impact to the everyday life of many people is very rewarding.

Giovanni recommends the following next steps:

• Technology is evolving every year so there is still so much to do to make our lives better. I would suggest to pick one of your greatest passions (art, travel, medicine...) and look for tech companies that are playing in that field.

Patrick’s Answer

Updated Zürich, Switzerland

Thats a good question! back in the days, i just wanted to work with "computers". Later this meant for me to go down a path to get a technical background and then be able to actually work in a cool tech company. For me, the main reason is and was: it's never boring! tech changes very fast and has so many different sides to it, you never actually stand still.