Do biomedical engineers use more math in chemistry or biology

Asked Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Rumshah’s Answer

Updated Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Elijah!

I am currently pursuing my degree in Biomedical Engineering. One thing I can tell you for sure is that Math is actually a key component of ANY type of engineering. Obviously, chemistry is all about learning concepts and performing calculations and these calculations can only be performed if you have a strong mathematical understanding. Biology on the other hand involves little math and is more about understanding the material you are being taught.

Thanks. Because I want to pursue biomechanics and biomaterials in biomedical engineering
I took both biomechanics and biomaterials courses. I really liked biomechanics as it was a mixture of kinesiology and physiology. For example, I learned about different structures and movements and how our body responds to it. On the other hand, biomaterials was a SLIGHTLY dry course for me but it still taught me a lot about different materials used in making implants I learned about how biocompatibility is important when choosing a biomaterial . Overall, biomechanics was far more interesting and difficult but I enjoyed every part of it and biomaterials is also a very informative course. Just depends on what you are interested in. Goodluck!