I am not a creative type but i want to study mechanical engineering am i on a right path?

Asked Roodepoort, Gauteng, South Africa

Lisa’s Answer

Updated Allentown, Pennsylvania

There is much about engineering that requires engineering, but it also requires rigorous math and science education, especially physics. I like to compare engineering to puzzle solving. Another good analogy is inventing.

So if you are good in math and science, and are on track to finish at least pre-calc (preferably calculus) and will take biology, chemistry and physics by the end of high school, mechanical engineering might be a good fit for you. Best wishes as you continue your education.

Glenn’s Answer

Lisa provided a great answer. Mechanical Engineering is applied physics. I never considered myself as a creative person. But having a good understanding of the fundamentals, I was able to solve some engineering problem in a unique way that lead to several patents.

Not all engineering jobs require that type of problem solving. A passion around math and science is critical.

Glenn recommends the following next steps:

• Complete highest level of math and science that you can in High School. Physics and Chemistry are a must. Calculus is ideal.
  • In college, it is not only important to get the right answers. It is also important to understand the principles of why it works the way it does.
  • Intern or co-op in college to get experience.
  • Take a class with projects, like a solar powered dune buggy.
  • Find Mechanical Engineers through your parents, career center, or on LinkedIn and ask for an informational interview to understand how their jobs aligns with your interests.