Which classes should I take over the summer?

Asked Redwood City, California

I plan on entering college majoring in the medical field. I am taking a college class over the summer and I wonder if biology is the best class to take.

#medicine #medical #biology #college

Haley’s Answer

Updated Siler City, North Carolina

Hi Kobe,

From my personal view summer classes have always been more fast paced than regular semester classes. When I was in college I would always try to take some of the easier general classes during the summer so I was not overwhelmed with all of the information I had to learn in a few short weeks. When I was in college these classes were generally for only four weeks with four hours per week and a lot of work outside the classroom. General classes are also more likely to be provided for in the summer since everyone has to take them. I see that you are a biology major; I would stick to taking your biology degree classes during regular semester so that you have plenty of time to take in what you are learning. So I would stick to your elective classes or non degree classes during the summer such as english, history, other required science classes, or math. Before making a decision on a class, I would talk to other students who have taken that class as well or your college advisor. It honestly all depends on the course load and the teacher.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I was going to take biology over the summer so I can free up space on my schedule for other science courses.

Bashir’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

If you are a. first time freshman. Biology is not really a good class for you to take in the summer. The summer is always short and everything is rushed because of time. On the other hand Biology is a back bone for all pre-medical fields. So you need to understand it and have enough. time to. digest the material taught in class. Meanwhile, Sociology, History,Government, and English can be some of the classes you can take in the summer. But. you have to always check your degree catalog and ensure that you're are in line with all your courses. Lastly, never forget to consult from the student advisor.Good luck!

Grant’s Answer

Updated Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello Kobe, I see that you have an interest in Biology, would you be able to take a course in Microbiology over the summer? that is a good subject for the whole spectrum of medicine..

I know an individual in NM that was a lecturer in microbiology at various universities and Hospitals USA wide and I can ask her for information.

Grant

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Don’s Answer

Updated Cary, North Carolina

Hi Kobe. From a practical standpoint and my experience a foreign language is good choice for a summer class. It's not related to your specific field but most colleges require you to take a couple of of them. Since class is everyday you'll be more inclined to practice everyday and usually there aren't too many time consuming projects.

Just a thought!

Thank you so much for your feedback.