What are some good careers?

6
6

Rebecca’s Answer

1

Hi Blake!

This is a good question. One thing that surprises me is how many different types of jobs/careers there are in the world. There are also many types of careers that can cross industries. For instance, there's a career called "Project Management". I have a friend who does this for a company that makes giant puppets for Disney, and I know a lot of people who do this for software companies. Some people do this for theater productions (plays) or for banks or for insurance companies.

Because I don't know what your interests are, your question is hard to answer because it's different for everybody. I think it's important to think about what you are interested in and what types of things you enjoy doing. For instance, if you really like solving puzzles and computers, a career in software might be for you. If you hate sitting at a desk, though, maybe you want to think about something where you can be more active, like retail stores, construction, sports coaching, etc. All of those involve a lot of different types of jobs. For instance, in construction, there are job site managers, general contractors, architects, people who hang drywall, plumbers, electricians, ditch diggers, cabinet makers, etc. In a retail chain, there are store managers, regional managers, cashiers, buyers, finance people, and more.

My advice is to find something you're really interested in and try to meet other people who share your interest. If you are in high school, you could ask your guidance counselor if there are resources for people to explore careers. Most community colleges, trade schools, and 4-year universities also have people who will help you find career paths and opportunities.

If you'd like a more specific answer, I recommend posting another question and adding some of your interests. Whether they're your favorite classes in school, your favorite way to spend time with your friends, hobbies, sports, the types of books you like to read, or whatever else you find interesting. That might give people answering some ideas that they can share with you.

Rebecca recommends the following next steps:

• If you are in school, ask your guidance counselor about career options
  • Try asking your question again with details about what you like to do and what interests you
1

Alvaro’s Answer

1

Hi Blake!

A good career is ultimately a career that motivates you, brings you satisfaction and provides you with the money and resources you need. Therefore, as a "good" career is very subjective and personal, I'll give you a couple tips to identify what a good career would be for you:

1. Find out what sector or industry is appealing to you. How? By thinking about what makes you happy, what interests you, or about people and role models that you look up to.
  2. What skills do you have, and which ones would you like to have one day? A good career should allow you to develop the skills you want for your future self.
  3. How would you describe yourself and your personality? Think about whether you want a very fast-paced unpredictable job, interacting with many people on a day to day, or if you instead would prefer a more predictable and less "risky" position, more individualistic in nature.

This is the best possible start to quickly identify a couple careers that could one day be your future ones! There's no correct answer, and you will be the one to find a career that fits you like a glove.

Alvaro recommends the following next steps:

• What sector or industry is appealing to you?
  • What skills do you want to develop?
  • How would you describe yourself, and how does that tie to your future job?
1

0
I will show some bias here since I could not be happier with the career choice I have made. I joined the U.S. Navy and it has made me into the man I am today. All of the benefits of the military can be provided by a recruiter. I travel the world, relocate every few years, meet strange people from strange places and befriend them for life.

I promote the military (no specific branch) because I know the opportunities it offers to anyone willing to be part of something much greater than themselves.

0

0
What do you enjoy doing? What degrees do you have? Have you already started narrowing down potential avenues you would like to pursue? Have you considered taking an ASVAB or any type of placement tests?
0

Noorayaz’s Answer

0
There are so many great careers out there. Far be it for me to narrow it down to one. I would suggest to look at the market, economy - not just today but where it is trending over the next 10 years. You can learn this from articles, news, counselors and professionals. Choosing a career is a big decision - so do your homework. It doesn't matter what others think - it matters what feels right to you and meets your personal, financial goals/aspirations
0

Abhay’s Answer

0

well, in terms of what?

1. Money
  2. Stress
  3. Work Life balance
0
Please see this article as well. https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/business/T012-S001-best-jobs-for-the-future-2018/index.html STEPHANIE LEE
0