62
Asked 590 views

How did you know your career was the right one for you?

How did you know the job you were working was going to be your ultimate career?

Thank you comment icon Good question to start with. You need to search out for joy, peace excitement, calmness, passion and satisfaction within you concerning a chosen career., the greatest of them all is joy. Once you find joy from the inside of you concerning your career,, it means you are on the right path. Patricia Okey-Ohuonu
Thank you comment icon Follow your heart and do what you will always love doing. Alice Mwangi
Thank you comment icon I would say you have to love what you do for your career to be right for you.. sometimes it takes years for someone to know if a career is right for them, but I would say if you love what you do and you are at piece with it.. then thats your answer.... jasmine mcmahan
Thank you comment icon I think you should consider the difference between a career and a profession. A profession is 1) something you enjoy, 2) that you are good at, and 3) that people will pay you for. If you have 1, that's a hobby. If you are 2, you have expertise. If you have 3, it's a job. But if you have all 3, that's a profession. Start with 1 and 2 and figure out a way to get people to pay you for it. Stephen Jenkins

62

3

Katlin,
You may never find it. The perfect career sounds reasonable when you're just starting, but you may work your entire life and not find it. The important thing to remember is to continually assess what you enjoy in each job and what you dislike. If you end each day feeling good about your achievements, then you are at least content and fulfilled. And many careers will probably address that for you. There is no one ultimate career for any of us. My career was in computer, but the parts I enjoyed was having problems to solve, people to interact with, and the opportunity to work on new opportunities. Those three components are in many careers and could have provided equivalent success for me. Have faith, as long as you look for fulfillment, you will find it. If you ever keep a job just because of a high salary, you will eventually discover that you are wasting this one life. Don't let that happen. All the best to you.
Thank you comment icon I appreciate this, thank you for the advice. Katlin
3
1

Lakita’s Answer

I knew my last semester in college, which had nothing to do with my major. I took a class in Human Resource Management and knew that's what I wanted to do because it peeked my interest more than the things I was studying for my major.
Thank you comment icon Thank you, Lakita! Katlin
1
1

Michel’s Answer

This is a great question.

I believe one of the biggest things to look for is what gives you joy. Create a list of things that make you happy and what you are looking for in life. When I did this a lot time ago I fell on the medical field. The reason I landed in the medical field is because I knew I loved science and I knew that I liked continued education and helping people. Once I found the medical field it came down to what my abilities were. I first started looking into nursing, but after time I realized it didn’t challenge me as much as I wanted so I moved to medicine to challenge myself. I love a challenge and that is what medicine has been for me. Difficult classes, but in things I love and enjoy.

Try multiple things out. I think something that can really help is look into volunteering or being able to shadow people that are in a field that you enjoy. If you are interested in business ask people what they do throughout the day and see if that is something that interests you. If you find something that you truly fall in love with things will feel right. That doesn’t mean that things won’t be difficult at times. But you will be able to look through those difficult times and see the end goal of becoming a business owner or a doctor and that will put things back into perspective.

Thank you comment icon Thank you for giving me advice. Katlin
1
1

Brandy’s Answer

I wish I could provide an answer that would really tell you how however, it can vary. I can say that after almost 20 years with my career, I still consider a career change periodically. First, I will say that you have to be passionate about the type of work you do. Everyone has there own reason for being passionate about something. Next I will say that being happy with your employer is also important. Mine provides many opportunities and they stand behind a code of ethics that align with my own. Last, if you begin to consider a career change, think about what is driving that thought. Is it no longer challenging, is it a poor work/ life balance or are you unhappy with your coworker/ boss relationships. Many reasons that I have considered the change are not really related to the work itself but the factors of the environment. This may take periodic changes to refresh your passion in what you do but it is a controllable environment if you are aware of the drivers.
Thank you comment icon Your advice was so helpful! Katlin
1
0

Victoria’s Answer

The famous quote “If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.” I think this says it all. Find your purpose and passion and you will reach your destiny. Pray and listen to that still voice inside of you to help your find your purpose!!!
0
0

KhyRi’s Answer

That's the best part. Start with what draws you in and remember to be flexible. Always seek to learn something new and be ready to self educate. When the pandemic hit, a lot of professionals switched to different careers for many different reasons. Some people wanted to make more money. Others lost their jobs unexpectedly. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons why people shifted careers. None of us can see the future, so don't be afraid of what could happen. Simply remain open and prepare accordingly.
0
0

Francne’s Answer

In all honesty, I am not sure we always know what career is right for us and for some choosing a career is something that comes with time. If you are working just for money, you have or are seeking a job. Jobs do have the capacity to turn into careers if you desire. If you are looking to work in and grow in an industry over time, you are seeking a career that just might be right for you. To find the "right career," I recommend you start with really understanding what you are interested in and have a passion to learn or do. I would love to tell you that it is as simple as identifying the ideal job that aligns with your passion, finding it and just doing it. Unfortunately, often times, identifying and creating a career path based on passion alone does not always net the "right career" or joy in doing what you love. You should take the time to identify the type job that would be a good fit for you, learn the industry you are considering and researching career possibilities. From there, understand the steps you need to take to grow your career. Know that it is okay to adjust career goals along the way. Good Luck!
0
0

Jason’s Answer

You are in the right field when you no longer need to set your alarm clock and you enjoy the impact your job has on the world.
0
0

Camille’s Answer

When I went to college my freshman year, I had no idea what I wanted to do in terms of a career. I completed my general education courses and decided at the end of the year that I wanted to try something in business since I had previous jobs in sales. I transferred colleges my sophomore year and applied to the business school. I spoke to my advisor and completed a career assessment. The results of the assessment showed that my interests were in Marketing and from there I worked with my advisor to plan out the courses that I would need to take to get my Bachelor's of Science in Marketing. I was a member of the American Marketing Association and networked with many students in the business school. I graduated college and began looking for careers in my field. I worked at Target when they were just becoming a popular retailer to get management experience and I worked there for 1 1/2 years. I started looking for another job where I could use my Marketing degree with the education and experience that I worked for. I got a job at CellularOne working in the Marketing department and I did everything in that department for 16 years and then I was transferred to the Human Resources department and have worked in this department for 12 years. The best advice that I can provide is never to be afraid of change, it's makes you stronger. Take the time to explore and find out what really interests you, talk to people in all fields to see what peaks your interest. Network with people to find out what they do for a living and see if there are any opportunities that you could take advantage of. Don't be afraid to join groups, it'll get you out of your comfort zone and you will make new friends. Good luck!
Thank you comment icon Thanks for the help. Katlin
0
0

Margaret’s Answer

I would say it never has a definition for "Right" in our career. In different stages of career/life journey, what you enjoy and you care about will change.
I would say when you wake up in a day without unacceptable anxiety and stress, look forward to tackling the problems/projects/tasks in your work and you feel fulfilled or accomplished by the end of the day, you are enjoying your work and are on the right track for your career at this moment.

We may come cross bottlenecks in the career development but it does not indicate it's not " right".
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much! Katlin
0
0

Anthony’s Answer

Just make sure you like, like what you will be doing. Try to have fun with it too.
Thank you comment icon You rock! This advice is very helpful. Katlin
0
0

Is this your hobby? Are you happy to do it? If yess, well that is the right one.
Thank you comment icon I am really grateful you took the time to answer this question. Katlin
0
0

Lauren’s Answer

In a way, you never know until you try. I've done everything from being an executive assistant, to remodeling houses, and now I am in web development. What I would say is if it interests you, try it out! You can always change paths or if a job just doesn't feel right or you don't like the people you are working with, you can find a new one. Don't put too much stress on yourself to get it perfect - it's a journey. You'll learn more about yourself along the way.
Thank you comment icon Thank you, this is amazing! I really needed it. Katlin
0
0

Alexa’s Answer

Trial and error. It really takes work experience to figure this out. I met a lawyer that hated her job and went back to school to be a teacher! Find something that generally interests you or that you enjoy, and see where it takes you!
0
0

Donna’s Answer

It takes a while to know what the right career path is for you, but it's important to know a few things. Whatever you do, you need to enjoy it. It has to be something you are interested in, that you are excited to tell people about, and that keeps you learning and doing new things. This is true in all of your life, not just your job. If it makes you confused, unhappy, conflicted or questioning your good judgement, then it's not the right place for you.
Thank you comment icon I'm excited to put your great advice to good use! Katlin
0
0